Unemployment (Household Survey Data)

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Roman Candle, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Opps bet the mainstream media won't mention this. This is not good folks. Dig under the headline number 340,000 and it's getting worse.

• bls.jpg
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Christ - if you're not going to post anything worthwhile, don't post. No one cares about seasonal losses you fool.

3. A loss is a loss, you krazy fool.

4. No, it's not. Not when it's expected and happens in the same percentage at the same time each year.

5. Almost 15 million unemployed Americans, officially (unofficially, who knows...).

1 in 6 are either unemployed or underemployed (often, woefully underemployed), officially (unofficially, who knows...).

That ratio is sure to hit 1 in 5 and maybe 1 in 4, officially (unofficially, who knows...).

Green shoots.

LOL.

It's simply an epic tragedy what the shysters have done to this nation.

You guys haven't seen anything yet.

I definitely wish I didn't know what I was talking about, when we see the massive foreclosure rate and historic (in real terms, not manipulated BLS terms) unemployment rates in this country in 2010, 2011, 2012 and beyond, there really will be blood in the streets of American.

Seriously...get your SHTF kits together. Even the most optimistic among you are going to feel naked without them in a year or two.

6. canmo

canmo

7. Hey thats good news! Every year I go to Vegas and blow about 1,000 dollars on the tables. But since i expect to lose, I'm really not out 1,000 bucks am i?

Nice logic!

8. I agree with this... The whole purpose of seasonal adjustments is to smooth the series out. Specifically, the logic of not including seasonal losses in the tally makes sense because these are the jobs that come back later in the year. Therefore, it makes sense including neither the losses nor the subsequent gains.

I might also add that the details of the household survey were actually not that bearish.

9. The government cannot be trusted because it over estimates seasonal gains and underestimates seasonal losses. It's vital to look at both numbers rather than to accept one over the other as gospel.

10. We are constantly making job environment comparisons with the early 80's, the late 70's and the Great Depression. However our methodology for reporting unemployment, as well as many other figures like CPI, have changed significantly since those eras.

So if we were to make an apples to apples comparison to the unemployment rate back in the Great Depession or 1982-'83, wouldn't it make sense to use the same methodolgy?

God forbid we do that, because then the unemployment rate numbers would surpass the early 80s and be close to rivaling the Great Depression numbers.

#10     Jun 6, 2009