Unemployment applications by state, at a glance

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nutmeg, Jan 1, 2011.

1. The number of people applying for unemployment benefits plummeted last week, a sign that the job market is slowly improving. Applications dropped by 34,000 to 388,000 in the week ending Dec. 25, the Labor Department said. The number has fallen or remained the same in five of the past six weeks.

Here are the states with the largest changes in applications, and some of the reasons for the shifts. The data is for the week ending Dec. 18, one week behind the nationwide figures.

States with the largest declines:

California: Down 7,656, due to fewer layoffs in agriculture

Illinois: Down 3,149, due to fewer layoffs in construction and services

Georgia: Down 1,935, due to fewer layoffs in the construction, trade, service and manufacturing industries

Pennsylvania: Down 1,574, due to fewer layoffs in the construction and industrial machinery industries

Texas: Down 1,494, due to fewer layoffs in trade and manufacturing

States with the largest increases:

New Jersey: Up 5,235, due to layoffs in the construction, services, transportation and manufacturing industries

Michigan: Up 3,087, due to layoffs in the auto industry

Missouri: Up 2,404, due to layoffs in construction and services

Florida: Up 2,281, due to layoffs in services, manufacturing and agriculture

Oregon: Up 2,026, no reason given

2010-12-30 16:31:26 GMT

2. cstfx

cstfx

That's probably due mostly to Christie winding down the tunnel project.

3. Bob111

Bob111

looks like gvt seriously believe that we are that dumb..it was a holiday week to begin with. show us steady decline. month after a month and then maybe..maybe you can convince me that there is some improvements. cause i have different feeling,based on very simple observation: every month i have to create a list of the companies,based in US and traded on NYSE and NASDAQ. i need it for my trading. every month this f* list is getting smaller and smaller. there is no single increase since i started it years ago.
    this is also the reason, why we have all this HFT mess. cause the revenue of those US exchanges did decline significantly due the fact that there is no new companies coming to market.

4. Considering that the Labor Department is good about making seasonal adjustments and considering that the labor force is growing, a +/- 2000 jobs/state, I would think, is well within the margin of error. With Christmas seasonal jobs expiring and the prospects of another year of free-summer-interns, how can a person seriously interpret department stats into real, leading economic data?

Sorry about being so pessimistic. I appreciate the OP providing the data.

5. I'd read but not verified that it took 10 years to create 2 million jobs. I'm patiently waiting for Obama to announce he's going to create 2 million jobs.

6. Thank you for posting the data. I have doing some observations at a new local and your number match up with what is acctually happening on a day to day basis.

Akuma

7. Holy shit batman:

Obama outlines plan to create 2.5M jobs
    Updated 11/24/2008

"The economic recovery plan being developed by his staff aims to create 2.5 million jobs by January 2011..."

I just checked the date.

----------------------

Over the past 10 years, the private sector has generated roughly 1.1 million additional jobs, or about 100K per year. The public sector created about 2.4 million jobs.

Between May 1999 and May 2009, employment in the private sector sector only rose by 1.1%, by far the lowest 10-year increase in the post-depression period.

8. You're welcome.

9. http://www.bloomberg.com/video/65602866/

Watch this bloomberg interview.

Wake Up. Either your in the Game or not. The US is not a focus the next few decades.

I started playing the Global Game and Oil 5 years ago....best move I ever made.

Unemployment, Employment in the US will sit around these current levels for decades.

As far as Robots. Research the term "Lights Out" for manufacturing. Its the current trend and will continue to replace Humans in Manufacturing here in the US.