Unemployed workers will now make more staying home than working.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Amun Ra, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Amun Ra

Amun Ra

The Stimulus bill is planning to give $600 per week unemployment on top of what states already give. This means someone that was making minimum wage earning $290 per week before they were laid off, will now be making somewhere between $800-$1000 per week. Quite the pay raise.

Of course we know these people will have every reason to stay on unemployment as long as possible (4 months I believe) which will end making employers raise wages with a shortage of workers. And there will be a shortage of workers as all those minimum wage workers with their "new found wealth" will be out spending and enjoying themselves for once.

It's going to be hard to go back to the farm now that they've seen Paris.

2. Politicians are dumb. This is why means based testing is stupid. Give a flat number to everyone and move the fuck on.

athlonmank8 likes this.

3. Yeah, no more value-meals for you. You can super size.

@lylec305

RRY16 and SimpleMeLike like this.
  4. TommyR

TommyR

this power exists only at the lower bound. the q is do you want that? maybe. but its not the literal point of it,

5. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Great. The new slogan can be “ make america the ghetto again “.

comagnum and KCalhoun like this.
  6. TommyR

TommyR

risk reward is key. its unlikely to motivate anything positive obviously so i think probably be a robust expert if heading down this channel

7. TommyR

TommyR

imagine if through the evolutionary process the tradeoff was 600 or people do nothing, that was actually the tradeoff. it was that simple literally. its the globalism again confusing people.

8. zdreg

zdreg

Juan Peron Leftist Dictator of Argentina in the 1950's, would be proud of the US congress for passing this bill. Of course, he left the country in ruins with hyperinflation, but the scaleless lower middle class worker, particularly government and union workers, adored him to the end.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  9. Exactly.

10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

And who's gonna pay for it? You and I, with higher income taxes.

#10     Mar 25, 2020