Understanding Depth

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by StreamlineTrade, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Pabst

Pabst

A couple of thoughts.

Markets exist to facilitate trade. Size moves to size. Traders place orders (non-stops) at levels they think they'll get filled at. The market is moved by orders that were unable at better prices. ES trades 800k a day. That means quite a few 1400 lots go off.

All that being said, those large scaled (2000+) bids and offers being filled is a random event. Often I'll be short and see huge bids underneath and think "great!, for sure we're going to attack those size bids down there"

Lo and behold the market stops above the size and rotates higher and suddenly the size bids underneath are gone and I'm stuck short realizing that a few of those guys moved up and are now paying the offer. What I've found is when it's quiet, respect size as resistance and support. If the markets churning on size then expect size to trade out.

#21     Dec 18, 2005
  2. duard

duard

DOM can be very deceptive and at times is a tool of deception. I have still as yet not found any steadfast rules in which to utilize the data but that is most likely my lack of sophistication.

#22     Dec 18, 2005
  3. Lotus 7

Lotus 7

just a test i want to see if this thing is working;;;

#23     Dec 18, 2005
  4. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

Thank you for all the replies here.

There is a lot of food for thought here, and I am certainly getting value out of this. I am glad I asked!

#24     Dec 19, 2005
  5. Lotus 7

Lotus 7

So far this has been a good thread. I am hoping that Fader will continue to share more of his thoughts and that others chime in.

Its funny how Depth threads are usually short.

Lotus 7

#25     Dec 19, 2005
  6. volente_00

volente_00

What we talked about is happening right now on YM as they are stacking bids to keep it above 920 while retail is buying in front.

#26     Dec 21, 2005
  7. tomcole

tomcole

A few thoughts --

1. Major traders will qoute for size, as they can double up on it and push the market. It also tells them which way the real players are trading. Simple.

2. If you dont believe in the bids/offers you see, fade them. I do that on Russell & Midcaps all the time. You'd be surprised how quickly those lots disappear.

#27     Dec 21, 2005
  8. duard

duard

Exactly. Just for kicks when the market is light but bids or asks stack, hit one and watch the flicker of lifted size.

#28     Dec 22, 2005