Unbelievable: Jobless Rate For Young Is 25%—and Rising

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Apr 13, 2011.

1. You are so completely right, yet most people never look at this situation from a business owner's perspective.

The idea that you could find even 10 in 100 college level kids willing to do alot of this work is optimistic. Most of these jobs are hard labor in extreme weather conditions. They simply can't do that sort of work, further they would never do it at competitive prices.

#31     Apr 14, 2011
  2. Too bad for those little ones. I hope by the time I have teenage kids the economy will have recovered but seeing as I'm not even married yet I've got at least a decade and a half to go.

#32     Apr 14, 2011
  3. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Where did I say the business man was blocking them? Illegal immigrants are blocking them. The business man is breaking the law which isn't enforced intentionally by the controllers (who run both political parties btw).

I was just commenting on the canard about illegals only taking jobs that teenage citizens won't take.

I don't see anything changing, unless people get some backbone and there is a major political upheaval in the US, and the downtrend toward third world status continues.

#33     Apr 14, 2011
  4. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

This argument is just silly, who did the work before illegals showed up?

Maybe global warming made it so hot that only illegals can work outside? LMAO.

#34     Apr 14, 2011
  5. It could be argued that the wealthy utilize more of the "infrastructure" that taxation provides, so it's fair that the tax burden be greater. For example, the guy who just bought an $88 million dollar mansion in Florida has more to lose than me, who lives in a doublewide trailer in the desert. He has more to protect and should pay a greater share of the cost of the security institutions that enable him to keep it. Military, law enforcement, fire dept, dog catcher, etc. An invading country isn't going to come mess with my Alpaca ranch, they are going to move into his plush abode. The US military isn't hanging out in a tin shack on the outskirts of Baghdad, they annexed Saddam's palaces.

The rich Florida resident, hard working businessman that he is, probably utilizes a *cough* highly educated workforce, and is thus yielding a greater return on the investment the gov spends on education, and should pay for more of it. He might use 1000x more electricity than me, so the costs of subsidizing, developing, and maintaining the grid should fall to a greater extent on his shoulders. He should chip in extra for the budget of the CDC, because beyond the individual benefit we both get from a health-protection standpoint, he has a financial interest in keeping his 400 employees at work and out of the hospital. Of course he should pay a greater share of the budget of the SEC, since his publicly traded company, and his own sizable portfolio, depend on the hard work and *cough* vigilance of a hard working team of wackers, er, regulators to provide a fair and orderly market. The roads he ships his products over, the phone lines for the call center, the patent office for his inventions... There are a million things. In a flat tax system, I would be subsidizing his sorry ass in all these areas. I don't know how much of this bs I actually believe, but that is the argument.

#35     Apr 14, 2011
  6. And you really believe that this current generation has the same work ethic of generations going back 30-40 years.

Not to mention the fact that illegals doing the backbreaking work isn't something recent, it's been going on for quite awhile now.

I should also mention that the type of work we are discussing has long been the domain of immigrants period. Whether we are talking the past 20 years or the past 100-200 years. Whether they be Irish immigrants, Polish immigrants, Chinese, etc, etc...It's not like this is some recent development.

#36     Apr 14, 2011
  7. why are 16-18 year-old at school?

Many in this age group don't need a job as they are still living with mom & dad. If they get tired of mom & dad, they can make a baby and get Session 8 public housing, food stamps, welfare check and medicaid. Obuma will provide for them.

#37     Apr 14, 2011
  8. Millionaire

Millionaire

None of this should be of concern to us Elite Traders :D

As 'Rich Dads' :cool: we of course teach our kids that they should have money work for them instead of having to work for money like the Poorer people have to :(

#38     Apr 14, 2011
    #39     Apr 14, 2011
  10. W4rl0ck

04-14-11 05:14 PM
    Where did I say the business man was blocking them? Illegal immigrants are blocking them. The business man is breaking the law which isn't enforced intentionally by the controllers (who run both political parties btw).

I was just commenting on the canard about illegals only taking jobs that teenage citizens won't take.

I don't see anything changing, unless people get some backbone and there is a major political upheaval in the US, and the downtrend toward third world status continues.
    denner

04-14-11 06:23 PM

This argument is just silly, who did the work before illegals showed up?

Maybe global warming made it so hot that only illegals can work outside? LMAO.

And you really believe that this current generation has the same work ethic of generations going back 30-40 years.

Not to mention the fact that illegals doing the backbreaking work isn't something recent, it's been going on for quite awhile now.

I should also mention that the type of work we are discussing has long been the domain of immigrants period. Whether we are talking the past 20 years or the past 100-200 years. Whether they be Irish immigrants, Polish immigrants, Chinese, etc, etc...It's not like this is some recent development.

I didn't say the businessmen were blocking them, no one is other than themselves. Laws are broken in business all day everyday. HFT's are automatic front runners, illegal, but no one stops them. Think of HFTs as the illegal immigrants of trading. They allow the trading firms to execute trades at a much higher speed and a much lower cost to the company and generate higher profits. It goes on all day but that isn't being stopped. It is the SAME current generation who is too busy watching reality tv and drinking cappucinos than worrying about politics, government or actual change. Everyone made a big stink about how so many young voters voted for Obama and that may be true but 90% of them have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE about politics and actual ramifications on what their vote meant. They did it because every other young douchebag wearing a scarf and a fidora hat was doing it. They'd rather ignore reality and believe that things will always be good. They're a generation of spoiled americans. Not in absolute or dollar terms, but in economic terms. Think about it, there has been no great war, no upheaval, no grand scale of well anything. We've had that luxury, but maybe it hasnt been a luxury because I think as americans we truly have forgotten who we are. The principles of the founding fathers, the ideas this country was built on, the values we used to have an honor have all changed and not for the better. People are worried about how much bigger kim kardashians ass can get instead of electing proper officials to the senate. So you get a bunch of old men who are all just puppets of a systems that people dont care enough about to begin with. Theres no accountability, so we wage wars, bail out companies that should fall, we go from capitalist, to democracy to communism to totalitarianism all in the blink of an eye by the ink of a pen because people just dont care. It really is a terrible sad time.

I watched the documentary on Enron a few weeks back and I was so surprised to really see what went on and to this day I dont understand how they wound up bailing out all these banks other than greed because they all did pretty much the same thing enron did with no moral code or ethics and got away with it.

To the second quote, I wholeheartedly agree. The work ethic today, by population just isnt the same as history. Part of that is technology so jobs have changed etc, but thats america, times change and we adapt. Just seems like most of the youth doesn't want to adapt. They want to be losers.

This country began on immigration and was built and progressed over time by it. The transcontinental railroad. An american feat of ingenuity and hard work. Built by immigrants. Look at how many immigrants come to america, even legally, and build businesses and create wealth for themselves, sometimes on a very large scale. A body builder from austria wins mr olympia and creates a hollywood box office beast and becomes governer of california! The american dream isn't dead, its just that americans forgot what it means and what it takes to get it.

#40     Apr 15, 2011