Unbelievable: Jobless Rate For Young Is 25%—and Rising

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Apr 13, 2011.

1. That's one way to create small business, since the conventional model to create small business is kaput. You know, finance and idea, hire a few people, become a cash churner for various local state and fed regulators. Generate revenue for lawyers accountants and insurance cos.

#21     Apr 14, 2011
  2. I dont like talking about politics or religion because it generates too much emotion, but I felt like chiming in.

Cutting military spending was mentioned. I think that is a terrible idea. For one, soldiers get paid shit. They volunteer to put themselves at risk for this country. The lack of respect for the military is un-American if you ask me. Soldiers created this country, remember that. Have some respect. Besides, everyone is so keen on cutting military spending but if that happened and then the day came when we needed an extra air craft carrier but some hippies who wanted to help a few teachers in get some more books out to kids who dont care, or who wanted to help wlefare for the useless leeches of society and the country lost its military edge and military action is taken against us, you'd regret that decision. There are PLENTY of other budget cuts that can be made LONG before cutting military spending.

Immigration and how they take jobs away from americans. Well for one most of those jobs are ones that most americans don't want and luckily there is someone who swallows their pride enough to do those jobs. Your ego too big to clean toilets? Fine, just dont complain about it.

Education? generally speaking it needs a pick-me-up. I think too much emphasis is wasted on college and later institutions than on earlier education where it really matters. College is nothing but $30k a year for networking and debauchery. But instilling principles very early on in children on studying mathematics, science, history and ethics is very important.

Parenting these days is pathetic. Weak generation plain and simple. Not enough emphasis is placed on parenting and responsibility.

The youth currently is in a bad position but its a good wake up call if you ask me. A couple of years ago when everything was peaches and pie and you can be a waiter making 15k a year and get a 700k mortgage was a much different picture for everyone. A punk kid out of college can get a job at a bank approving mortgages and make 75k+ a year for doing nothing and knowing nothing. That was bull$hit to begin with so wasn't meant to last. But now that they have to actually HAVE value in order to secure a job they're lost. That's not one's fault but their own. That's how it should be. You need a skill to have a job. Some can study algo's, some can entertain, whatever the case. But just because you went to some school for 4 years and studied high school all over again doesn't warrant a hundred thousand dollar a year salary and a desk job which is what they think. This generation forgot what it is to be an innovator and to MAKE something happen as opposed to sitting on your ass expecting it. This is america, you can do whatever you want to do and be whatever you want to be. Just need passion and conviction. You can become a professional poker player for Christ's sake! Play cards for a living and earn large sums of money. You can become a trader, work on wall street, you can create an internet company and sell it, who knows. But instead they want to hang out in front of starbucks and rebel. Well sucks for them.

#22     Apr 14, 2011
  3. No reason to hire an idiot teen to salt the fries when you can get an ivy-league educated MBA to do it for the same price. (slight exaggeration for the sake of emphasis, or maybe not.)

Cutting the military by 90% is a good idea, up until the one time it isn't. Just like really expensive insurance. It'll be all robot drone armies pretty soon anyway, so we will be glad our teens stayed home and played video games.

#23     Apr 14, 2011
  4. Quick, someone lower the taxes on the rich so that they can save the day. It's the multi-purpose elixir than heals all wounds and removes tough stains in cold water.

#24     Apr 14, 2011
  5. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

This is comment on immigration is a myth. Everyday I see illegals that can barely speak English doing work that teenage citizens would do from mowing lawns to fast food to lower level construction work.

Same for h1-b, L1 etc. in different areas. They are taking the entry level stuff and shutting out the US citizen college grads.

If they get blocked from entry or low level jobs, how are they supposed to get into the system and learn to be productive citizens?

#25     Apr 14, 2011
  6. benwm

benwm

Most people agree that a certain amount of taxes is necessary for the provision of a key public goods, such as defence or basic education.

And everyone seems to agree that taxes, if they must be imposed upon its people at all, should be levied on the "rich" - it depends on who you speak to on how you define "rich"...

But since someone earning an average salary, by definition cannot be construed as being rich from an income generating perspective, then surely we can all agree that taxes on such persons are not only unfair, but also an act of theft by the state?

So why is it there exist ANY taxes whatsoever on persons earning less than an "average" wage?

You can argue how you define average, whether by median or mean, or some other measure...but is this not a universal principle upon which most parties could agree on?

#26     Apr 14, 2011
  7. They dont get "blocked" business owners run businesses, which means profits. If I can run a bathroom renovation company and hire 4 immigrants willing to work for the same money as 1 college grad with a chip on his shoulder, the college kid can take a hike. Not rocket science here, it's construction. 4 guys means getting jobs done quicker, more efficiency and ability to book other jobs more frequently, equals more profits. It's no myth, its fact. You can't hire a barely speaking english immigrant to build a quant program, but you can hire him and his pals to hammer some nails. Why pay some punk kid who thinks he "deserves" 100k a year because he has a piece of paper saying he read some books for 4 years? That doesn't make sense in business terms.

The jobs are out there, the problem is kids these days feel entitled. The "entry level" to them is delusional. They have too much pride and ego to take that night shift job at the diner for miniumum wage and get yelled at by a boss and take shit for crap pay. But you take a guy who doesnt care about that and is willing to take the crap because he wants the job then what can you do?

I know plenty of college kids that do nothing with their degree but feel they deserve a great salary and benefits. And they would like to work minimal hours and have long vacations. They don't want to work 15 hour days or 100 hour work weeks for shit money, oh God forbid they are pushed to work hard and learn what it really means to earn your keep.

Parents are to blame for that as well, they spoil these little bastards, not to mention all the garbage on television like morons making hundreds of thousands of dollars because they drink and act like fools on reality tv.

Do I agree with the immigration laws? No, but I also don't agree with a business man not having any choice other than paying someone more than they're worth. That just doesn't make sense.

#27     Apr 14, 2011
  8. Hardly "everyone" agrees. Isn't this notion discrimination? It's against US law to discriminate against gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, weight, etc. Why is it OK to discriminate against "income"?

The progressive tax system in the US is not only immoral, it's discriminatory and should be against the law. Instead.... there should be a flat tax. If there is an exemption for lower income, EVERYBODY should get the same exemption.

#28     Apr 14, 2011
  9. Is taxation constitutionally illegal?

From time immemorial, the state didn't raise revenue from its own citizens/subjects but through plunder.

What i would suggest is no taxes on citizens, if any revenue is needed for the functioning of the state, it should be taken from the rest of the world, just like how the British did it in India.

After all, it is a Darwinian world. We dare not abrogate these concepts that makes the world turn.

#29     Apr 14, 2011
  10. benwm

benwm

I take your point regarding discrimination, it is a valid one. As a soft libertarian myself, I am sympathetic... A flat tax of zero sounds even better.

Unfortunately, making such an argument is rather akin to pissing in the wind, especially in today's climate.

Progressive taxation appeals to most people's notions of "fairness". Politics is not really about ideals, it's about selling an idea to the layman and making it sound like an ideal.

In order to achieve the goal of a flat tax, I think it is better to make the case on economic grounds...on this front I think you may find more sympathetic ears. That is an argument that can be won.

#30     Apr 14, 2011