Unable to Use eSignal behind a Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by fan27, Feb 21, 2003.

1. fan27

fan27

I recently subscribed to eSignal only to discover that it won't operate behind my company's firewall. I use IB's TWS thru loopholesoftware/SocksCap and was hoping that I would be able to do the same with eSignal ( I can get data thru the "receiver" but unable to get data thru the "data manager"). Having our network department open up the necessary ports thru the firewall is not a possibility. Has anyone encountered the same problem with eSignal and found a solution.

Thanks

2. opm8

opm8

Yes, I've encountered the same problem and no, I haven't got a solution.

I use the exact same setup at work: SocksCap through Loophole Server and have not been able to get eSignal or MyTrack to work. IB's TWS works great, as does QCharts. ESignal support was unable to help the several times I tried to fix this.

My recommendation: QCharts. I like it better than eSignal anyway. :)

--opm8

3. I have Esig and its a bandwidth HOG, love Esig 7.2 and its bells and whistles.

So the only way is BRIBE your favorite MIS person so he can help you, and if possible, under the table, LOL.

If you work in a company with Network and MIS people you make HUGE friends with them.

Bring them gifts, take them out buy them beer.

Invite them over to watch football.

Its that simple.

Slip them some cash from your winning trades sometimes, LOL.

Its the only way, or else look for a job at a more liberal company or ask to pay for a cable hookup at your cubical.

4. fan27

fan27

I will use MedVed QuoteTracker while at work and continue to work this eSignal problem. As far as buttering up my MIS department people to get certain ports open on the Firewall...It aint going to happen. I work for Verizon and there is a lot of Red Tape in getting legitimate data thru the FireWall, let alone getting trading software to work so I can trade at work.

Thanks

5. Is a bandwidth Hog.

6. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

fan27,

In order for eSignal to work through a fire wall, certain ports need to be opened to allow incoming data to reach the application. For many years, eSignal has provided data not only to individual investors, but to large financial institutions, who demand the highest level of network security. Opening ports in a firewall always poses a risk, and make anyones network susceptible to attacks. For the many years that eSignal has been in business, not one customer has ever reported any problems with their networks being attacked through these ports.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me back. For more information on setting up your firewall to accommodate esignal data, visit our web site at http://www.esignalcentral.com/support/esignal/firewall.asp

Regards,
    Jay F.
    eSignal Community Support

7. I am using Loophole successfully with MyTrack and TWS. The key may be that you may not need SocksCap (I don't). You can set things up on the localservers tab in Loophole. The guy from loophole is excellent for support and can help you if you know what port numbers you need.

8. fan27

fan27

If I was able to open up the necessary ports on the firewall at work, i am sure esignal would work beautifully and my company's network would be safe and sound. However there is no way I could possibly get any ports open. I am leaving my Job next month so this is not going to be an issue for very Long.

Thanks