Umm, a journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by illiquid, Jul 13, 2002.

1. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

No ill keep posting your charts with all of the arrows. This is good stuff.

#11     Jul 13, 2002
  2. That MS Paint just gets addicting you know :D

Yeah I know, it's real easy in retrospect to pull out the chalk and point to this low and that high on the chart -- altogether different when you're skating the hard right edge. Example here -- why did I cover when I did? Dunno, had to have been there I guess :D

#12     Jul 13, 2002
  3. I'm trying to do some pairs trading (buying strength, selling weakness) based on chart divergences, but it's damn hard for someone not used to it to try and hold positions you know are likely to go against you.

These are a couple charts of a software sector pairs trade, short ADBE/long INTU.

#13     Jul 14, 2002
  4. oops, this chart got lost.

#14     Jul 14, 2002
  5. sigh, ignore chart6

#15     Jul 14, 2002
  6. I agree I am enjoying your posts & don't hesitate to use plenty of arrows. They make them much easier to understand quickly.

#16     Jul 14, 2002
  7. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

The trade on chart 5 looks good to me.

#17     Jul 14, 2002
  8. Just what goes through my head for a given trade . . .

Lots of times daily charts will give me ideas for intraday trades, and the ones I manage to get lucky on entry points are trades I like to keep overnight. SYMC was a missed trade on the daily chart, having gapped down on another company's warning, but stayed on my screen for the next day, and then that scratched short friday. Perhaps the idea that I was just getting "leftovers" made me more trigger-happy than I should have been.

I think I get as many "top-down" ideas as "bottom-up" when it comes to time frame, but it's pretty hard sometimes to deal with entry/exit/stop points across multiple periods.

#18     Jul 14, 2002
  9. Divergence trades work best at the end of trends and up to the point of an actual market turn; conversely, they give the weakest signals (in terms of risk/reward) at the start of a new trend. You really don't want to be looking for weak charts to short while the market is potentially beginning a fresh leg up. I think we have a good a chance as any in a long time for the bulls to start to take the helm on Monday, but lately I've been trying not to lean one way or the other until the market actually trades a bit.

KLAC is a fav of mine to watch on any given day, and how it trades tomorrow is pretty pivotal IMO.

#19     Jul 15, 2002
  10. Long CHKP at 13.13

#20     Jul 15, 2002