UK Traders using IB - experiences?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by CocaColaKid, May 23, 2020.

1. Currently have regular trading and investing accounts with IG and HL. Also have some other accounts which I toy around with in demo and aren't funded.

Anyway, I'm close to pulling the trigger and funding IB and using their TWS platform as my main trading account. Seems to be an upgrade over IG except for certain listed equities apparently not being traceable (I've sent them a query to understand why all SETSqx non-CCP AIMs aren't on their search).

Anyway, I see the funding options for GBP are, well, a bit regressive compared to what I'm used to. I absolutely love the speed and ease of funding and account on IG and even HL, but IG really is first class if you're a UK trader. The idea of going into my bank app and sending an instruction, then notifying IB so it's routed correctly makes me sigh in disbelief - it's 2020, Christ. Suppose it's no big deal, just a downgrade from anything I've used in years.

How long does a wire take from a bank account usually?

What about getting your funds out, are they good with that, or do you experience delays? Hidden charges?

What's the downsides of using IB if you're in the UK have you found?

Also I notice I can't find a section on subscribing to data packages, is that because my account isn't funded yet?

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

Funds into and out of IB is very quick. Same day within two hours out. One free wire out per month. You have to pay stamp duty though they do have index Cfd.

How did you find pro real-time?

CocaColaKid likes this.
  3. CFD only with IG linked to PRT, one of the reasons I'm looking for another platform. PRT has all the features though, if I could trade regular stocks on it I'd hang around. I know IB and PRT can be linked, but something put me off, forget what now (been looking and testing so many platforms I'm losing track).

Does your bank charge you to wire funds into IB? I notice they said on the wire page to check that. Think one free wire a month out is enough for me. I tent not to move cash around regularly.

TWS is winning me over, it seems easy to learn and setup, and kinda looks alright. Could maybe do with a visual update but minor niggle.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

You could have pro real-time on one screen and then HL, IG stock or IB execution on a second screen. Even on a laptop you can have a second screen attached.

CocaColaKid likes this.
  5. It's pricey though, I think it's around 100 euros a month for the PRT sub with data options. Was really hoping TWS could do the same job but for less, though can't work out the cost, the page for subscribing is broken for me when I go to click though on the TWS platform.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

try when the market is open.

CocaColaKid likes this.
  7. Ah good thinking!

8. Grantx

Grantx

Prt is very easy and intuitive. TWS has a steep learning curve but damn it has everything you need in one package. Stocks,options,futures,currencies, and probably more. Be prepared for high levels of frustration though.

CocaColaKid likes this.
  9. What would your top 3 pet peeves be?

Really want to know what I'm getting into. Youtube videos make everything look rosy, but that's rarely the case. There's always something!

10. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Depends on the country. Takes 4 days for me.
    In general, North American banking standards and fees are way behind Europe.

#10     May 23, 2020