UK trader arrested for May 2010 U.S. Stock market flash crash

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by just21, Apr 21, 2015.

1. So greed got to Nav. I wonder what he was making at futex per year ?

#761     Mar 14, 2018
  2. Not Greed he was a good trader that did not know all the rules - Its happens.

#762     Mar 15, 2018
    athlonmank8 likes this.
  3. Oh, he knew the rules all right....and the CME Group warned him several times to stop breaking them.

#763     Mar 15, 2018
  4. ZBZB

ZBZB

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/01/15/no-jail-time-hound-hounslow-urge-us-authorities/

The bedroom trader who contributed to the 2010 “Flash Crash” should be spared a jail sentence, US authorities have said.

The US Department of Justice recommended to a Chicago court that Navinder Singh Sarao, a British citizen, be shown leniency because of his “extraordinary cooperation”, his autism diagnosis and the serious risk that a longer sentence would pose to his mental health.

The authorities also cited the fact that 41-year-old Mr Sarao, dubbed the “Hound of Hounslow”, never spent most of the £45m that he made from his trading.

Mr Sarao pleaded guilty to charges of spoofing – a trading technique used to distort the price of a share by creating orders with no intention of fulfilling them and then cancelling them before they can be fulfilled – and wire fraud in November 2016.

The operation relied on speed in an era when trading was rapidly changing due to the advent of high speed broadband that allowed banks and other financial institutions to trade in milliseconds using algorithms.

Mr Sarao, who was arrested in the UK in 2015, has been assisting US authorities with their investigation of other cases since his plea.

He set up a one-man trading business from his parents’ semi-detached house near Heathrow airport in south-west London in 2005 after working in banking and at trading firm Futex.

The trader was accused of playing a part in the "flash crash" on May 6 2010, a five-minute spell during which US markets plummeted by 5pc, wiping hundreds of billions of dollars off the value of American companies.

Mr Sarao subsequently spent four months in a London jail and the US commenced extradition proceedings against him.

A longer spell behind bars would do nothing deter other traders, US authorities argued in their court submission.

#764     Jan 15, 2020
    syswizard, dealmaker and tomorton like this.
  5. Wow, he still hasn't been sentenced by now ? Incredible.
    I think most of us will agree: "Go Nav !".
    I hope he gets some leniency here.
    Note: I'm not a big fan of the CME Group which I consider the "Evil Empire" with a monopolistic position.

#765     Jan 15, 2020
  6. ZBZB

ZBZB

7. tomorton

tomorton

I hope for leniency too, even a suspended sentence.

He was not part of an evil corporate plot, he was an intelligent guy working from his bed-room. To be honest, I think its the system gate-keepers who let this happen who deserve less leniency.

#767     Jan 15, 2020
  8. ZBZB

ZBZB

9. Oh YES....the CME Group is so irresponsible in this regard. They could have programmed their servers to reject the bogus orders....but they did not. Instead, they issued a written warning. That is so lame given their power and resources.

#769     Jan 15, 2020
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

So where was he in the last 3 years?

#770     Jan 15, 2020
    athlonmank8 likes this.