UK taxation for futures and options trading

Discussion in 'Options' started by the learner, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Alex27

Alex27

So what's the best option CGT and what are the amounts you start paying more on,?

#31     Mar 10, 2016
  2. #32     Mar 11, 2016
    Grantx and Alex27 like this.
  3. Ken S

Ken S

Hi GAT - I know this is an old thread but did this ever get settled? I have just started trading futures and am trying to run some simulations on future net returns but not sure whether to use a CGT tax rate or income tax rate. Also if trading is subject to income tax and I have a loss making year which I cannot offset against other income (very possible currently) do you know if HMRC allows these losses to be carried forward. Thanks

#33     Oct 24, 2020
  4. I've been trading my own money now for 6 full tax years. The percentage of my 'income' that was trading income has varied between 0% and over 95%. In all of those years my trading profits have been taxed as CGT (basically that is what I have put in my SA, and that is what HMRC has used for the calculation).

As for offsetting / carrying forward losses, sorry I don't know for sure. I've never tried it under the CGT regime (not sure if it's possible with CGT), I just sell shares to make sure I always use the entire CGT limit even if I've made a loss on my futures trading (obviously if I've made a profit, then I try and crystallise losses in my long only portfolio to reduce the CGT gain).

GAT

#34     Oct 24, 2020
    Ken S likes this.
  5. I shall be carrying forward losses as I pay income tax as an options trader. I have had a couple of losing years in the past and this only offsets the next tax year. Wondering if I can claim CGT allowance on shares, though

#35     Oct 25, 2020
    Ken S likes this.
  6. tomorton

tomorton

If I'd been using this forum when the thread started I would have posted that in the UK you can use spreadbetting to access the financial markets. Spreadbetting profits are exempt from tax.

#36     Oct 25, 2020
  7. cesfx

cesfx

I think income or CGT are ok up to 50k yearly profit. Above that and LTD could work better. At least this was the advice I received from a UK accountant a few years ago.

#37     Oct 25, 2020
  8. I had thought about that, but I'm really not money driven! I don't mind paying tax- though I resent council tax at £50 to get my bin(which I haul to the end of the driveway) emptied - you know what I mean!

#38     Oct 25, 2020
  9. HMRC have got sniffy about this over time, but it doesn't work for me as the spreads on options are terrible.

#39     Oct 25, 2020
  10. cesfx

cesfx

I mind paying taxes. For me it's like paying protection to the mafia. If taxes were equal for all (%) and used well, then I wouldn't mind.
    When I see budgets and money allocated on weapons, wars, divisions... And then tight on children school meal, homelessness and other poverty issue. I mind it very much and I have no shame in saying it. They should be ashamed at government for existing and wasting oxygen by breathing.

#40     Oct 25, 2020