UK GDP shocker Q3 -0,4 Q/Q - FTSE rises

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ASusilovic, Oct 23, 2009.

1. xty

xty

so what happens when IR now rises and rises real fast.

#11     Oct 23, 2009
  2. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

logically we ought to get another wave of repos, that's if they do rise IR substantially and/or unemployment keeps on rising.

#12     Oct 23, 2009
  3. xty

xty

Seriously except u so rich and dont mind holding for so long...........i dont think the next 3 years is going to be good for property mkt especially not in the UK....

i still see a huge property bust coming in the UK....

#13     Oct 23, 2009
  4. Not looking to buy for speculation/investing. Just for living in it :cool:

I don't currently live in the UK but after another major leg down in Sterling I believe a nice country home would be quite interesting (for me).

I don't know how low Sterling can go should it drop from here but IMO it is "cheap" (relative to other currencies) below $1.50 or at €1.00. Doesn't mean it can't goto $1.20.

#14     Oct 23, 2009
  5. xty

xty

yes now i understand...........

If u looking for a place near to London......Surrey might be a good bet

#15     Oct 23, 2009
  6. just21

just21

Sterling rallied last week as the market thought printing money was off the agenda. Today it is back on the agenda so sterling falls and stocks rise as this is where most of the money ends up as there is more money chasing the same amount of assets. For an extreme example look at the Zimbabwe stock exchange when Mugabe printed money to meet government expenditure. It soared. London house prices have returned to or exceeded 2007 levels in prime areas as nobody working in a bank has actually lost any money.

#16     Oct 23, 2009
  7. Seriously, the GDP report has about zero value in telling what equity prices should do. As for the currency markets, GBP has been on a tear lately and it looks like some are using the report as an excuse to sell.

#17     Oct 23, 2009
  8. So good to be brainless and just to correlate with US master brains...:cool:

#18     Oct 23, 2009
  9. Daal

Daal

So if economic activity would go to 0 overnight the stock market would do nothing. Yeah right

#19     Oct 29, 2009
  10. Are you joking? I can guarantee you one thing, if GDP went to zero, markets would have tanked long before gov't statisticians got around to reporting it, and chances are markets would rally once reported.

Name one successful investor on the planet who would take a position (for anything longer than 5 minutes) based on the results of a single GDP report from any country.

The GDP report is the classic "old news". It is reporting on economic activity that has occurred in the past. Markets are at least current looking and usually forward looking. Most of the data in a GDP report has come out in one form or another over the proceeding months.

#20     Oct 29, 2009