UK Conservatives raise Capital gains tax to 40%

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MohdSalleh, May 12, 2010.

1. So, britain doesn't want a financial sector then? Okay.

#21     May 12, 2010
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

meow!!

#22     May 12, 2010
  3. 41% (40% income tax + 1% "social security") rate comes in at around £44k per annum, so it doesn't take much to trigger it. Someone who has been a policeman or teacher for about 10 years will normally start getting into that salary bracket.

Then there are the numerous public sector jobs in London, the ones you see in the back of the Guardian each week. "Diversity counsellors" on 100k a year, 200k for PR jobs at quangos (funded by the public of course). It makes the Greeks look restrained.

#23     May 12, 2010
  4. southall

southall

the rate was set at a fixed 18% to increase revenue. it was not a tax cut.

previously with indexation allowance many people paid less than 18%, some only 10%.

#24     May 12, 2010
  5. That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted that.

#25     May 12, 2010
  6. If they are running out of money, they should scrap the 2012 olympics

#26     May 12, 2010
  7. So it was cut to raise revenue and now it is being increased to raise revenue? Perhaps you can spot the flaw in that reasoning :D

#27     May 12, 2010
  8. My bet is they cut to raise revenue but got no revenue increase because the market tanked.

So, obviously, they now think that they aren't getting the revenue because of the tax cut. That's government logic for you.

Just like people here think that the reason the U.S. stock market got more volatile for a while is because they eliminated the uptick rule and not because the shit hit the housing fan.

#28     May 12, 2010
  9. WAAAAAAY too logical for government.

Remember that show "Yes, Minister"? Should be required viewing :D

#29     May 12, 2010
  10. heypa

heypa

A coalition of liberals and conservatives is an hermaphroditic aberration and is patently unworkable unless the conservative compromises.
    Great first step confirming the above.
    P.S. I agree with the comment on " Yes.Minister". Great show.

#30     May 12, 2010