ugh just lost 20% of my account was short EUR

Discussion in 'Forex' started by boobaies, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Someone should let the FT know, they're using m as an abbreviation for million and the WSJ don't seem to use an abbreviation for million at all, they just write million! I think both of those could be classified as 'in the business' :)

#21     Mar 19, 2009
  2. I know you fantasize about it but sorry forex-forex, you're not my type :D

#22     Mar 19, 2009
  3. gangof4

gangof4

#23     Mar 19, 2009
  4. Nice to see you're taking it so well and have your emotions under control!

#24     Mar 19, 2009
  5. gangof4

gangof4

i believe it's pretty universal. i did private equity deals in Europe and Canada and they all used m and mm on everything (term sheets, etc).

KGB: yeah, your mind is trying to forget! every acct. i know has that 'kill me now' vibe on sundays, knowing they have to go to work monday. one thing about trading: win or lose, it's rarely boring.

#25     Mar 19, 2009
  6. gangof4

gangof4

i have an issue with being called a liar- most people with integrity do.

if i were talking about some big gain, at least i could understand it. in fact, i've never posted how well i was doing b4 my 6 month implosion- casue i didn't want to deal with the healthy skepticism it would have brought. when somebody thinks i'd bother to lie about a loss, they're an idiot. idiots annoy me too.

combine the two and you have my post.

#26     Mar 19, 2009
  7. It may be the fact that you posted you lost 72,000, that figure on it's own doesn't mean anything. The OP expressed his loss in a meaningful way, "just lost 20% of my account". We don't need to know how much 20% of his account was in dollar terms to realize it was a significant loss in relative terms.

The same applies to posting about gains, we don't need to know the dollar amount as it doesn't actually mean anything when it comes to evaluating performance.

Usually people who post their gains and losses in dollars either don't understand how insignificant that figure is on it's own or they're trying to impress others for some reason.

#27     Mar 19, 2009
  8. I am only speaking from my experience. I have traded currency positions (mainly Euro and Yen) during multiple fed days and unexpected news. You probably need to look at getting a new broker with that much slippage. As with anything though, it depends on the market conditions and liquidity available at the time so each market is different. Maybe I've been lucky all the years but I'd rather that than what happened to you. Also, I mostly trade the currency futures contracts not forex. Hope you shake that "vagina" problem off one of these days.:eek:

#28     Mar 19, 2009
  9. gangof4

gangof4

i missed the part about currency futures in your post. yes, i trade the cash. i've never considered the futures, as i thought they weren't liquid 'enough'- i'll have to take a look @ them.

i trade fx thru IB- logic being that they're not a bucket shop. odd though, initially, more often than not, i got price improvement thru them; the past 3 months or so, i haven't had price improvement once- not once. kinda, well, odd...

as to my vaginal tendencies: nope, no better. happened again. was short EUR.JPY and bailed after 25 pips for no reasons (well, aside from my vagina)- went to my initial target- 150 pips lower. maybe i need an ointment....

#29     Mar 19, 2009

10. Yeah I don't think that's gonna help....

#30     Mar 19, 2009