UG Krishnamurti: "Don't follow me. I'm lost."

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by marameo, Aug 21, 2019.

1. marameo

marameo

Nice insights on the state of enlightenment, the question of gods and much more:

https://www.instagram.com/ug_krishnamurti/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U._G._Krishnamurti

Q: What is your concept of God? Very often you say that God alone can help.

UG: No, that's a manner of speaking. ( Laughs ) Man has to be saved from God -- that is very essential because ... I don't mean God in the sense in which you use the word "God"; I mean all that 'God' stands for, not only God, but all that is associated with that concept of God -- even karma, reincarnation, rebirth, life after death, the whole thing, the whole business of what you call the "great heritage of India" -- all that, you see. Man has to be saved from the heritage of India. Not only the people; the country has to be saved from that heritage. (Not by revolution, not the way they have done it in the communist countries -- that's not the way. I don't know why; you see, this is a very tricky subject.) Otherwise there is no hope for the individual and no hope for the country. Not that he should become anti-God or an atheist. To me, the theist (the believer in God), the non-believer in God, and the one that comes in between and calls himself an "agnostic" -- all of them are in the same boat. I personally feel that there is no power outside of man, you see -- no power outside of man -- whatever power is out there is inside man. So, if that is the case -- and that is a fact to me -- there is no point in externalizing that power and creating some symbol and worshipping it, you know? So that's why I say that God, the question of God, is irrelevant to man today. I don't know if I make myself clear. It's not that you should burn all the religious books and tear down all the temples. That is too silly, too ridiculous, because what temples and religious books stand for is in the man, uh? -- it is not outside. So there's no point in burning all those libraries and making a bonfire of all the religious books the way that Tamilian Ramaswamy Naicker did -- that is too silly; that is not the way to do it, you see. So, that's why I say God is irrelevant -- because man has to rely more and more on his own resources. The heritage you are talking about has produced this man here today, all that is there in him. So, not what is there in the Upanishads, not what.... All those teachers -- what they thought and what they experienced is part of this man. So, that has to express itself in a new form, otherwise there is not much.... If you talk of God it has no meaning at all; everybody becomes a believer in God or a
    non-believer in God and ends up fighting on the battle-field. What is the point in their reviving Islam? What is the Islam all these people are talking about? And they're quarrelling amongst themselves, the subdivisions, just the way the Indians are fighting among themselves, the small religions. So, that is why I say God is irrelevant to man in the modern context. What 'God' stands for is already there in man -- there is no power outside of man -- and that has to express itself in its own way.

UG: So the question is what is memory......Memory is always absent except when the need is
    created by the situation you find yourself in. It is that memory that has created what we call the
    entity or the individual; otherwise, there's no individual, there's no entity. Unfortunately, that
    individual or non-existing entity demands the continuity and the constant use of memory to
    maintain it's continuity. So memory is used for purposes for which it's not intended. The use we are
    putting that memory is only to maintain that continuity or that non-existing entity whether you are
    awake,or asleep or dreaming. That's the reason why we don't have energy to meet the challenges of
    life. "

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    piezoe likes this.
  2. Bruce Lee developed his philosophy of no way as way, no limitation as limitation after reading Krishnamurti. I read a few of his writings and like his views against organizational imposes doctrines.