UBS rogue trader loses $2 billion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ordinary_trader, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I agree and it's been a very interesting timeline of events over roughly the past 13 years (I see the LTCM as sort of a starting point) for not just the "first shot" in the TBTF/Moral Hazard play, followed by some major mergers (think Sandy Weil) and the repeal of Glass-Steagall. I believe Goldman went public right around that time as well. Ever since then, derivatives and the "shadow banking system" have grown exponentially and compensation followed suit.

The "rogue trader" b.s. seems to fit into this story as well. A sort of lack of internal accountability and "growth at all costs" regardless of the systemic risks fits right into the public vs private partnerships you allude to.

#51     Sep 16, 2011
  2. bone

bone

I have about 50 clients who are overseas, and it always struck me as fascinating that they all had US-based futures accounts. I am sure alot of that is because US commissions and fee structures are less expensive. US segregated account structures are also surely attractive in terms of security.

But the other astonishing piece ( at least to me ) is that they all park the lion's share of their money, outside of their trading accounts, even post- 09/11 banking laws... in the US.

When we talk about trading ECNs and clearing arrangements; they seem to dismiss European money handlers out-of-hand as a necessary evil only.

#52     Sep 16, 2011
  3. He is the son of a retired united nations employee that explains everything. 100% pure evil and corruption.

#53     Sep 17, 2011
  4. Eight

Eight

He was in the IT department, then moved on to trading... He could use the institutions rules against them, maybe he enjoyed doing what he did for that reason?

Managers jobs involve following up on all work that is delegated. Their job is to know their people as well. If they read up just to a tutorial level of understanding on Myers Briggs personality types they would be on the lookout for exactly the behavior exhibited by said Rogue Trader and they would know which of their employees was like that... I'm quite sure that he is ENTP and maybe a little disgruntled...

#54     Sep 17, 2011
  5. 1) He was not a rogue trader when he put the trade on, only when it went south.
    2) It was in the swissie.

#55     Sep 18, 2011
  6. ===========
    You may very well be right,no where in the Wall Street Journal , does it mention [9-17-11]anybody batting an eyelid.But UK prosecuter David Levy did charge him with fraud, in London...''The alleged scheme dated to 2008...''

Just the sort of news the big bank sector needs;
    again.:D

#56     Sep 21, 2011
  7. He should go to jail for at least 5 years............
    losing $2 billion others people money, what the fuck........
    This is not a trader, he is just an idiot....who have probably stuied on harvard to get the job at UBS............
    the banks will kill the economy one day with this stupid harvard people..........

idiots, just idiots.........:eek: :eek: :eek:

#57     Sep 21, 2011
  8. ashatet

ashatet

I have a problem with this whole thing:

1. Some traders end up making $2B by taking such crazy positions but we never hear about them.

2. If the traders lose that kind of money, then they are labeled as rogue traders.

3. I put 100% of the blame on the risk management of the company and of course the mega compensated executives.

4. 1 or more traders took the other side of this position and what about them, are they not rogue simply because they made money. They will be heroes now.

#58     Sep 21, 2011
  9. Wondering why SEC is not regulating the market capitalization of listed companies while FED regulates the reserve ratio of banks?

#59     Sep 22, 2011