UBS rogue trader loses $2 billion

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ordinary_trader, Sep 15, 2011.

1. the1

the1

Same here. At the firm I worked at all positions showed up on the risk manager's screen and there was a max loss for the day. If you hit it you got all the other traders coffee and donuts the rest of the day :D. Oddly enough, this firm insisted on stop losses. It wasn't until I proved myself that they allowed me to use a wide stop loss and exit bad trades manually. Then they allowed me to use hedging strategies to manage my risk. They were pretty slow to to allow new traders to use different methods of risk control even though I had come from a quant program.

#41     Sep 15, 2011
  2. Visaria

Visaria

Classic!!! :D :D :D

#42     Sep 15, 2011
  3. the1

the1

That's a very valid point but as you noted there are exceptions to the rule. With the right training the success rate in the prop shop I worked at was 50%. Although, of that 50% not all made enough to make a living at trading.

#43     Sep 16, 2011
  4. #44     Sep 16, 2011
  5. jem

jem

I note that almost all of the big banks on wall street when rogue trader on the mortgage market.

Pabst a former poster here... pointed out in a different context ever since these banks went public they had no reason to manage their risk.

They just play for their bonuses until they blow up.
    When they were partnership... the firm capital had to be preserved so they could get their payouts from the partnership past the term of the lockups.

#45     Sep 16, 2011
  6. bone

bone

Yes, but those trades were done as part of a collective firm-wide sanctioned strategy. No one person at the firm hid those trades in a drawer. The idiocy came from the top down.

There is a big difference.

Amaranth knew all about Brian Hunter's Nat Gas position. Dick Fulde at Lehman knew all about the mortgage bets, as did AIG management.

#46     Sep 16, 2011
  7. Visaria

Visaria

Note that the "Vickers rule" has to be implemented by 2019, not shortly.

#47     Sep 16, 2011
  8. As someone who holds both an EU and US passport and spends long periods in Europe..I will say this...

Europeans in general ex Germany, are very accepting of mediocrity and are quite incompetent. I remember Tony Blair once saying at a Labour party conference, he said something like" if it is one thing we are bad at, it is when unexpected things come along or things go wrong, we shrug our shoulders and say WELL IT COULD BE WORSE." Really sums up their attitude. This permeates every facet of their society.

Germans on the other hand, very competent, great attention to detail, nothing bad to say about them.

#48     Sep 16, 2011
  9. the1

the1

It somehow makes you wonder if this was "allowed" to happen and the "Rogue" trader was a scapegoat. Did UBS lose the $2B some other way? Only the fly on the wall knows for sure.

#49     Sep 16, 2011
  10. Visaria

Visaria

Umm, UBS didn't actually spot the loss, Adoboli fessed up....:p

"The disclosure that it was Mr Adoboli's decision to inform his colleagues of his actions that set alarm bells ringing at UBS, rather than its own monitoring system, will add to concerns that investment banks simply aren't capable of controlling the huge risks that their traders take," Robert Peston said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14950873

Unbelievable.

#50     Sep 16, 2011