UBS make ridiculous market prediction

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NY_HOOD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. The prediction for market to go up is not ridiculous at all. What may be optimistic/"ridiculous" is the 1300 level.

1150 area is reasonable in the next 12 months.

#21     Dec 3, 2008
  2. I'm talking about TRADING.
    Not "investing".

There's a big difference.
    A distinction that seems to get lost on a lot of ET posters.

#22     Dec 3, 2008
  3. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Landis,
    what was the benefit to your post? why waste time posting by printing nonsense. my post caught some interest evidenced by the number of responses. it was a legitimate post as a guy from UBS predicted a 50% run up. you come on and then post a bunch of garbage wise ass comments! you must of been abused at a time in your life.

#23     Dec 3, 2008
  4. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

by the way Landis,look at my pre-mkt post on RIMM and my trade. where are some of your plays?

#24     Dec 3, 2008
  5. You did not understand what he wrote---Trade with the big trend (the big trend is changing to UP).

#25     Dec 3, 2008
  6. richrf

richrf

I am talking about trading also. Underlying long term cycles do affect the bottoms and tops of short term cycles - whether they be hourly, daily, weekly .... I much rather trade with trend. Of course, there is always the possibility of trading against trend - but as I said, I then have to also factor in the cost to my health. I have no medical bills. There is some profit in that. :)

#26     Dec 3, 2008
  7. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Landis will not listen to logic he also does not like being told he is wrong.

#27     Dec 3, 2008
  8. I understand what you are saying.

In my opinion, the big problem with such a philosophy is that we are having "counter-trend" moves that are significantly tradeable . . . there are incredible percentage moves out there that are occurring on a daily and multi-daily basis that are tremendous opportunities.

To simply sit back and NOT trade ( from the long-side ) because the indexes are in a very bearish multi-month trend doesn't make a lot of sense to a TRADER.

For example, BTU traded from a low of 19.27 this morning up to a high of 22.67

As TRADERS, are we not suppose to take advantage of that 17% move, even though the trend in the indexes is down???

Again, it's unfortunate but I think that a lot of people here on ET fail to make a distinction between those that TRADE ( and trade for a living ) vs those that are investors.

In that same vein, the OP creates a thread with a "cut and paste" article about a Wall Street analyst that really has nothing to do with TRADING.

#28     Dec 3, 2008
  9. Couldn't have said it better myself. A 50% rally is very feasible. Once the funds realize that the fed's actions are working they will abruptly bid up stocks in anticipation of years of renewed economic growth .

#29     Dec 3, 2008
  10. richrf

richrf

If someone is able to take advantage of counter trend moves, the of course they should trade both ways. I certainly would. But, for myself, I have found it is less stressful, and just as profitable to stay with the trend. Either buy-sell on swings, or just buy on dips for longer trends. It is just my experience, that the overall profitability is about the same.

Of course, I accept that others have found a way to trade in both directions and still maintain their health. Unfortunately, I personally know several traders who died early from all of the action. They just burnt out. It is a question of how one wants to live their life.

#30     Dec 3, 2008