UBS make ridiculous market prediction

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NY_HOOD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

The worst finance sector recession for 75 years, and this guy (whose role is completely useless and meaningless) still has a job? The man is pure overhead, dead wood that needs chopping.

Short UBS.

#11     Dec 3, 2008
  2. Well said. The anonymity of the internet is the big difference. People here run their mouth and ego because they can hide behind their computer.

#12     Dec 3, 2008
  3. JCVR

JCVR

I have a recent research report from UBS (earlier this week) which says they expect a 10-20% increase in most indices in 09. Now all they need is a prediction of a loss and they will have all their bases covered.

If you guys haven't figured it out by now, none of these analysts have a clue what they are talking about. This is akin to putting a neutral rating on a stock with a price target 25% above it's current value.

#13     Dec 3, 2008
  4. So if I were to tell you that by the end of 2009 the S&P would be at 1275, you would say that's crazy? A 50% gain in 2009 is a very reasonable prediction (we got a 20% rally in one week last week) -- I don't know if they're right, but it's not that ridiculous of a projection

#14     Dec 3, 2008
  5. JCVR

JCVR

the gain isn't out of the question but their target is nothing but a guess.

What if we crash and hit 500 later this month then gain 50% from there? won't look so good will it...

#15     Dec 3, 2008
  6. richrf

richrf

This is certainly more optimistic than my own hypothesis, but I am looking for a 50% run up from 7500 which would bring us to 11000. Very doable. The impetus will be a combination of historical fiscal spending (which will not cause inflation, because of the low velocity of money), leveraged monetary policy that will backstop most A+ securities, and a gradual reallocation of money from Treasuries (2% return for 10 years is really quite ridiculous, and is yet another bubble).

Chart action is very favorable, but I think there will be many bumps along the way, so a trader has to watch very carefully, so as not to be bushwacked. Right now, I am accumulating for a major move up (not theBig move to 11000), that may be very short-lived - or not. I will let the price-volume action dictate my trading.

#16     Dec 3, 2008
  7. richrf

richrf

I agree. It is far more probable, given monetary and fiscal policy, that the next big move is up rather than down. 13000 seems very optimistic - but I will take it if it comes. :)

#17     Dec 3, 2008
  8. Who cares?
    How does this effect your TRADING???

The S&P just rallied 30 handles in the last hour . . . did you catch any of that?

#18     Dec 3, 2008
  9. Probably worth listening to more than the ET pikers that spend their pathetic lives doing. At least he is doing it as part of his job.

#19     Dec 3, 2008
  10. richrf

richrf

I think it does matter. Underlying longer term trends certainly bias shorter trends. I would rather trade with longer trends than against them - but of course, I am stress adverse. Health matters to me as much as profits - actually more. :)

#20     Dec 3, 2008