Ubiquinone (CoQ10) therapy in the CHF/CM patient.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by destriero, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Me too & I am not happy after a soccer session unless I am asked how old I actually am ( I am always the oldest player within a mile of the pitch.)

#11     Aug 21, 2018
    destriero likes this.
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Which CoQ10 supplement do you recommend? Brand, etc.

I take that mitoQ that Baron recommended a while back. Friggen expensive. Trying to get the difference between the two, and this is what I found, though it is on the MitoQ site, so go figure.

[​IMG]

#12     Aug 21, 2018
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

@Tsing Tao... Did you ever feel anything from the MitoQ when you took it?

#13     Aug 21, 2018
  4. destriero

destriero

I would avoid MitoQ for now.

MitoQ and SkQ1, here termed mitochondrial-targeted CoQ analogs (MTQAs), are effective antioxidants by virtue of inhibiting lipid peroxidation during redox cycling of the quinol/quinone forms of the compounds (James et al., 2004). The major protective reaction transfers a hydrogen atom (H·) from the quinol to a lipid radical (LO2·), forming LOOH and generating the semiquinone form of the MTQA (James et al., 2004; Skulachev et al., 2010). The respiratory chain then regenerates the MTQA through redox cycling similar to what occurs for native coenzyme Q. An example of the effectiveness of this process is the prevention of cardiolipin peroxidation in heart mitochondria exposed to iron and ascorbate (Skulachev et al., 2010). On the other hand, redox cycling generates electron leaks to oxygen, leading to pro-oxidant properties as demonstrated in past studies (James et al., 2004; O'Malley et al., 2006; Doughan and Dikalov, 2007).

Here, we used recently available intact-cell respirometry technology to examine the dose-dependent effects of MitoQ and SKQ1 on mitochondrial function, extracellular acidification rate (ECAR), and reactive oxygen production in BAE cells. We show that both compounds have potent bioenergetic effects at the mitochondrial level, which are, at least in part, caused by their redox properties. We also provide evidence that MTQAs may, under conditions of cell stress, compromise mitochondrial substrate delivery.

#14     Aug 21, 2018
  5. destriero

destriero

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

No, not that I can tell. If I took two at a time, as recommended, I got a bit of an upset stomach.

#16     Aug 21, 2018
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

If I understand this correctly, there is no perceived benefit from taking this stuff, but there doesn't appear to be any risk, either.

What is the CoQ-10 supplement you recommend?

#17     Aug 21, 2018
  8. destriero

destriero

There is a redox that is oxidative. Other issues.

This assumes that you want something convenient--don't want to mix powder into coconut oil:

Take two in the morning at waking. Do not take after 10am.

If you don't mind a little work:

Loosen lid from jar -> fill small pot with water -> place jar in pot -> heat under low heat until oil becomes liquid -> add two bottles of CoQ10 powder to jar -> seal jar tightly and shake -> let cool on dark shelf.

1 tsp = 666mg of CoQ10. Take two tsp per day at waking. Assumes 14oz jar. Buy glass jar to allow for "double boil" for initial step.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    #18     Aug 21, 2018
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  9. destriero

destriero

My achilles was severed and my ankle and calf were reconstructed in my mid 20s. The right foot is nearly flat and there is a ti-rod in there and anchors. There is a lot of scar tissue and it precludes me from long runs/skiing, etc.

I was in DC for two weeks back in March of 2017. I was hungover AF one morning when it was like 75 and muggy at 6am. Unseasonably warm. My hotel was a block from Capital Grille and I need to get to RFK Stadium. I had lost my phone the night before and won't have a new one for a day. No cabs, no Uber (no phone). I down 3-grams of CoQ10 and decide to jog the 2 miles or so. Now realize than anything beyond an 800 on a rubber track is killer. Foot swells up like a balloon.

I got some coffee and took the 5x600mg CoQ10. I ran the 2 miles in 15-20 minutes with stopping for lights, etc. I nearly crapped myself bc of the Starbucks, but I was amazed that I could run that pace with the bum-foot.

#19     Aug 21, 2018
    contra likes this.
  10. I'm so cynical I thought I would see a link to HerbalLife, hehehehe. So not being a big vitamin etc person, probably because I have run into too many ShakleeHerbalifeAmwayVegatestIridology people, well anyway you get the point. But this, coming from Dest, is worth me giving a try. At 61, I can use all the help I can get. Oh, and + 1 Dest for the care of your friend, just showing up, and helping at that time can mean the world to someone who is in severe distress.

The Ever Props To Dest VIPER[/QUOTE]

#20     Aug 21, 2018