U.S. Traders: What will u do if Transaction Tax passes? Which country to move to?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by aeliodon, Sep 27, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

You're right about that. My problem with BO is that he is proposing so much increased spending that we'll never be able to get a grasp on spending.

I would actually pay more taxes, if I had ANY reason to suspect that the government would use the increased revenues to pay down our debt and reduce taxes once we were out of debt.

That won't happen however.

#31     Sep 27, 2008
  2. you are prob rught, but anytime i trade bcs, or azn/gsk i never pay stamp tax. same with chinese stocks, so there could be some what around it.

#32     Sep 27, 2008
  3. that's because those stocks trade in the US.

#33     Sep 27, 2008
  4. so i could just trade US stocks that trade on other exchanges?

#34     Sep 27, 2008
  5. I don't see why not. Hope you like staying up all night.

#35     Sep 27, 2008
  6. BTW i did say your are right, i was not disagreeing with you

#36     Sep 27, 2008
  7. Yeah the current trend in the US doesn't bode well for free markets. If this tax is passed, it will increase TC for short term traders fro sure. The short sale ban took away some liquidity out of the markets. And if this goes through, further erosion -- I will be looking into trading the DAX, IPE (oil), and any other non-US exchanges with liquidity. I don't see how they can implement a transaction tax for trades on foreign exchanges. May be they will who knows. If so it'll suck all around.

Any other futures markets to consider? How is the FTSE?

#37     Sep 27, 2008
  8. Oh please... if Pelosi took this tax off the table for now she was probably saving it for Obama. The unholy trinity of those two plus Reid will find plenty of ways to make this even worse.

#38     Sep 27, 2008
  9. Even if the tax doesn't pass I still think its wise to look at other countries to move to. The US is finished. A cultural collapse will follow this economic collapse. We now live in a culture of perpetual fear like a bunch of pussies.

Just look at what Paulson/Bernanke are warning of (a 3000 point crash in the Dow if Congress doesn't agree to the bailout by Sunday evening):
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...4318/Bailout-failure-will-cause-US-crash.html

#39     Sep 28, 2008
  10. I trade forex, no issues.

#40     Sep 28, 2008