U.S. Traders: What will u do if Transaction Tax passes? Which country to move to?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by aeliodon, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ok, I tried to be nice.

You're a fucking moron, go to hell, and please leave the country.

Thank you.

#21     Sep 27, 2008
  2. Bob111

Bob111

the question itself make no sense to begin with....because it's depends on your trading style and(or) very specific markets. what work on nasdaq may not work on nasdaq and so on.
    for nyse or nasdaq stocks scalper it could be the end, due some very specific market conditions\regulations.
    this is just a single example.
    another variable would be amount of money you make. if you make 100K,debt free, living in paid off house in usa with very few expenses, you have to think twice,what the profits will be after rent,travel and other expences..and those things can eat pretty big chunk of your profits. when you make between few hundreds thousands dollars and millions-that would be another story..

#22     Sep 27, 2008
  3. #23     Sep 27, 2008
  4. Specterx

Specterx

The fact that the idea has even been proposed makes it a threat, Pelosi could reverse her position at any time.

Meanwhile there is always something you can do, write to your congressman and senators, mass-fax the whole Democratic caucus, be polite and say that the proposal will kill jobs, drive business offshore and only bankrupts the little guy (who had nothing to do with this mess).

If it moves further then maybe we can form a PAC and hire some lobbyists? Seems to me, for those who trade in the US or on US markets it's worth almost any amount of money to stop this.

#24     Sep 27, 2008
  5. clacy

clacy

Exactly. The first step is to float an idea. Then if there is a second bailout, virtually any way to punish "the finacial industry" will be available. It doesn't really matter if you're even punishing the people responsible for the bailout, that's not the issue. It's still another way to get your hands on money (even though it would be a net loss most likely).

#25     Sep 27, 2008
  6. I agree with you that we must be proactive.

Obama is open and responsive. I have already emailed his office on this. I would suggest we all do the same thing. And join the Hedge Fund PAC (MFA)!

Obama HQ contact link...
    http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/contact/

#26     Sep 27, 2008
  7. problem with this. if your not "professional" then no wash sale rule

#27     Sep 27, 2008
  8. actually JPm bought WM for 32 BILLION. If BAC got MER for free (i cant remember the last time 40 billion + debt was free) then they also bought cfc for free? and C is NOT getting WB for free. they are getting WB for free but have to asorb great west also. with all these companies your paying to deal with a BAD balance sheet

#28     Sep 27, 2008
  9. Republicans increase spending and borrow money to the point that higher taxes are inevitable.

#29     Sep 27, 2008
  10. This is just a proposal by a bunch of junior House members trying to get votes at home. There are idiot proposals in the House all the time. The representative from my district tried to introduce a bill repealing the law of gravity. Did that make you feel threatened as well? I don't recall an "Oh my god we're going to float off into space if this is passed thread?" Maybe I missed it.

Pelosi can't call them idiots because they are in her party so she just deflected the issue.

Unless you hear Barney Frank or someone in the Senate talking about it I recommend you take a deep breathe and relax. If you want, write to the congressmen behind this. I did, telling them that based on Thursday's trading I'd owe 60K in taxes (and that he's an embarrassment to congress).

As far as moving to another country, unless you aren't going to trade US markets I don't see the point. Foreigners pay SEC fees on trades, why would this be any different?

#30     Sep 27, 2008