U.S. stocks seen falling in coming week

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lloyd111, Mar 31, 2007.

1. SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - U.S. stocks are expected to extend declines next week, as concern about weakening corporate earnings and higher oil prices keeps potential buyers out of the market, strategists said.

Hmmmm,could be a bear week! or a bear trap?

Got to love articles,gives the media a chance to put its game plan as set out by their string pullers (big money) into ones head and not for the benefit of the reader imho.

2. i have to agree, but its just my opinion. indicators seem to suport the thread title, imo.

3. blast19

blast19

That's the whole article? Or are you censoring us? :D

5. Page 2 of the article:

The record run of 14 straight quarters of double-digit earnings growth is projected to come to an end in the first-quarter. The earnings growth rate for the period currently stands at 3.8%, down from 8.7% projected on Jan. 1. See earnings preview.
    Forecasts from companies about their first-quarter results are running quite "negative," said John Butters, senior research analysts at Thomson Financial.
    Thomson's ratio of negative-to-positive forecasts from S&P 500 companies for the first quarter is now 3.2, well above the long-term average of 2.
    "It's not time to throw in the towel on earnings...[but it's] another thing to be worried about," said John Forelli, portfolio manager at Independence Investments.
    Data
    Economists polled by MarketWatch expect an increase by 139,000 in March nonfarm payrolls. In February, payrolls had their weakest growth in two years.
    "If the report can come in a little bit stronger than expectations...then the [stock] market can have a couple of good sessions based on that," in the following week, said Thorne at Bryn Mawr Trust Wealth Management.
    The unemployment rate is expected to move up to 4.6% from 4.5%.
    Market players will look through the jobs report to check on monthly wage levels. The central bank views higher wages as a sign of rising inflation.
    Forelli at Independence Investments said he "wouldn't be surprised to trade off [in stocks next week] as investors begin to worry about near term inflation due to the strength of the global economies."
    Economists expect average hourly earnings in March to have moved to 0.3%, compared with a higher-than-expected rise to 0.4% in February.
    The last key check on inflationary pressure came Friday from the core personal consumption price index. The core PCE index, the Fed's preferred measure of core inflation, rose 0.3% in February, the biggest gain since August.
    ISM's manufacturing survey is expected to come in at 52%, a slip from 52.3% in February. A reading of more than 50 reflects expansion.
    Economists forecast a 1.9% increase in factory orders for February. The Commerce's Department's report is due Wednesday. Demand of U.S.-made manufactured goods dropped by 5.6% in January, the largest fall since July 2000.
    Carla Mozee is a reporter for MarketWatch in San Francisco.

6. blast19

blast19

This is what I meant by censorship. You pointed out that the media tries to put things in your head but you did the same by not showing that the article used 100 indicators that things are looking grim.

:D

7. I did not post the article as I was not sure if the ET site would allow an article from a competitor site to be posted,however had you employes observation you could have seen the marketwatch site url in the thread for guidance to the article.

But lo and behold the ET site allowed it to be posted and so on both counts your accusation of scensorship has no teeth.

Gummy Blast anyone lol

8. blast19

blast19

You paste one paragraph and then this:

"Hmmmm,could be a bear week! or a bear trap?

Got to love articles,gives the media a chance to put its game plan as set out by their string pullers (big money) into ones head and not for the benefit of the reader imho."

If that doesn't look like bullshit propaganda considering the article thoroughly explains itself, I don't know what you're smoking but it must be good. :D

And what the hell does "gummy blast" mean?

9. blast19

blast19

Also, your linking skills are bad as the link didn't work.

#10     Mar 31, 2007