U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice; military apologizes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, May 17, 2008.

1. U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice; military apologizes

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. military on Saturday formally apologized to an Iraqi village after a soldier admitted using the Quran -- Islam's holy book -- for target practice.

Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Hammond, commander of U.S. forces in Baghdad, apologized to the Radhwaniya tribe for the staff sergeant, who was a sniper section leader assigned to the headquarters of the 64th Armored Regiment. He also read a letter of apology by the shooter.

"I come before you here seeking your forgiveness," Hammand said to tribal leaders and others at the apology ceremony. "In the most humble manner I look in your eyes today and I say please forgive me and my soldiers."

Another military official kissed a Quran and presented it as "a humble gift" to the tribal leaders.

The shooter, whose name was not released, shot at a Quran on May 9, villagers said. The Quran used in the incident was discovered two days later, according to the military.

A tribal leader said "the criminal act by U.S. forces" took place at a shooting range at the Radhwaniya police station. After the shooters left, an Iraqi policeman found a target marked in the middle of the bullet-riddled Quran.

Copies of the pictures of the Quran obtained by CNN show multiple bullet holes and an expletive scrawled on one of its pages.

A military investigation found the shooter guilty and relieved him of duty; he will be redeployed to the United States for reassignment away from the 1st Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division, Hammond said.

"The actions of one soldier were nothing more than criminal behavior," he said in the apology. "I've come to this land to protect you, to support you -- not to harm you -- and the behavior of this soldier was nothing short of wrong and unacceptable."

Tribal leaders, dignitaries and local security officials attended the ceremony, while residents carried banners and chanted slogans, including "Yes, yes to the Quran" and "America out, out."

2. hughb

hughb

Back in 1942 Admiral William "Bull" Halsey was quoted as saying, "kill japs, kill japs and kill more japs".

Times, they are a changin.

3. The soldier should just call it "art". Problem solved! Well, maybe not, with the obvious double standards at play.

4. BSAM

BSAM

Apologized for what?

5. Mercor

Mercor

Maybe that shooting practice will help kill an Al Quata member who was going to blow up a masque and in the process saving all those Quran's in the Masque

6. sho-tim

sho-tim

da guy in da military dat kissed da koran should be booted out for violatin da separatin of church an states

7. I would be more impressed if our military leadership had lifted a finger to stop the murderous oppression of Christians in Iraq by these same muslims they are so anxious to butt kiss.

What message does it send these muslims when we value their religion more than our own?

8. Pathetic, post explains why the US military couldn't beat its way out of a wet paper bag . . . Am surprised that the there wasn't some state department loser in tow, throwing cash at the Iraqis, and more apologies.

9. ZZZzzzz isn't anti military or anything.