U.S. Poverty On Track To Rise To Highest Since 1960s

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ricter, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Mav88

Mav88

Or maybe in an information driven economy premium is placed on education and intelligence, both of which are in short supply at the lower end.

Love the emphasis on outcomes rather than opportunity.

#11     Jul 22, 2012

2. The War on Poverty and Great Society aren't perfect but they aren't failures imo

Most other US wars are bigger failures imo(foreign wars,war on drugs,war on terror etc )

#12     Jul 22, 2012
  3. Eight

Eight

How big does the failure have to be before we just dump the whole thing? Given a choice I'd dump the war on drugs first [I like my drugs and I like my freedoms, thank you very much], then the war on poverty. Cap poverty assistance at 5% of GNP and let the rest of us get on with some good living. 90% of people receiving assistance simply get it as a way of life. Dump those mothas off the back edge of the world, they will be fun to watch while making the adjustment to having to earn their way.

#13     Jul 22, 2012
  4. Mav88

Mav88

The middle class was hosed by free trade with china and india, people knew it was coming. It is called wage compression and it is just fine with elite liberals like J. Brad DeLong at UC Berkeley, he thinks wealth needs to be redistributed from the US to the third world.

Secondly, never in the liberal religion is it made clear exactly why some guy who can't graduate high school and has a kid before the age of 20 deserves prosperity. The war on poverty is a complete failure because it demands nothing in return for the handout.

#14     Jul 22, 2012
  5. Mav88

Mav88

how can anyone with a functioning frontal lobe believe that given the crushing size of entitlements and gov't pensions?

#15     Jul 22, 2012
  6. Do you have any idea at all what percentage of the federal budget is for the "social safety net" of unemployment, welfare, SSI, child tax credit and food stamps. You know....the "leeches".

Any idea?

#16     Jul 22, 2012
  7. Umm, what?... by "them" I mean the plutocrats. I mean the wealthy plutocrats have engineered the government to be very good to that top 1%. You do know what a plutocrat is don't you?

#17     Jul 22, 2012
  8. Max E.

Max E.

So that means we should just keep handing out money and ruining peoples lives?

Do you have any idea what the cost to society of all these leeches are?

These people are the ones who create all the babies in single parent households who end up becoming criminals, or else having their own babies in single parent households and these are the people who keep the cycle going.

How many millions of dollars does it cost per person to put them through the system their entire life?

What liberals dont seem to get is that welfare is not only about the cost, you guys are ruining peoples lives with this shit.

In 1960 25% of black kids were born to single parent households, this was before the civil rights act, today thx to liberals and the welfare system 70% of black people are born to single parent households, liberals managed to cause more damage to the black community with safety nets then any racist could have ever dreamed of doing. and the funny thing is that while the democrats continue to destroy their communities, black people still keep coming back and pulling the lever for them time and time again.

The same thing is happening with white people having kids in single parent households but it is not as pronounced. Mostly because white people do not vote 95% for liberal policies.....

The government has now taken over the role of daddy, and people no longer have to worry about having kids they cant afford, cause someone else will pay for them.

#18     Jul 22, 2012
  9. Yannis

Yannis

What this chart doesn't account for is the advance of globalization. Add the tremendous progress of Chinese and Malaysian etc wages and you get a very difefrent picture in % terms.

What American workers need to understand is that if you don't make a difference you can be replaced - either by a machine, or by someone smarter and better educated and much more motivated somewhere in the third world.

Not to mention that unions rob you and kill your future for their own good.

#19     Jul 22, 2012
  10. Yannis

Yannis

[​IMG]

Very biased chart, doesn't break out small businesses which are a major part of the upper level tax returns.

Also, the title is very misleading: Why not call it "...among the smartest, hardest working, best educated, most dedicated, most creative"?

#20     Jul 22, 2012