U.S. No Longer A Christian Nation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, May 7, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

Bishop Thomas Tobin, head of the Catholic diocese of Providence, said the “gay marriage” bill signed into law in Rhode Island by its governor, Lincoln Chafee, constituted a “new challenge of the post-Christian era into which, clearly, we have now entered.”

Chafee, a liberal Independent who used to belong to the Republican Party, signed the bill making “gay marriage” legal in the Ocean State on Thursday, May. 2. That same day, Bishop Tobin, who represents 680,000 Catholics in 143 parishes, issued a pastoral letter to Catholics on the approval of “same-sex marriage.”

“In particular, I wish to invite members of the Catholic Church in Rhode Island to a moment of prayer and reflection as we respond to this new challenge of the post-Christian era into which, clearly, we have now entered,” said Bp. Tobin.

“First, like many others, I am profoundly disappointed that Rhode Island has approved legislation that seeks to legitimize ‘same-sex marriage,’” said the bishop. “The Catholic Church has fought very hard to oppose this immoral and unnecessary proposition, and we are most grateful to all those who have courageously joined us in this effort. When all is said and done, however, we know that God will be the final judge of our actions.”

He continued, “Our respect and pastoral care, however, does not mean that we are free to endorse or ignore immoral or destructive behavior, whenever or however it occurs. Indeed, as St. Paul urges us, we are required to ‘speak the truth in love.’ (Eph 4:15)”

“At this moment of cultural change, it is important to affirm the teaching of the Church, based on God’s word, that ‘homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered,’ (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #2357) and always sinful,” said Bp. Tobin. “And because ‘same-sex marriages’ are clearly contrary to God’s plan for the human family, and therefore objectively sinful, Catholics should examine their consciences very carefully before deciding whether or not to endorse same-sex relationships or attend same-sex ceremonies, realizing that to do so might harm their relationship with God and cause significant scandal to others.”

Several days later, on May 9, 2012, President Obama, who previously had claimed he opposed “gay marriage,” said, “For me, personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.”

Referring to the Rhode Island legislation making “same-sex marriage” legal, San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordelione, chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ subcommittee for the Promotion and Defense of Marriage, said it “is a serious injustice.”

“"The meaning of marriage cannot be redefined, because its meaning lies in our very nature,” said Arbp. Cordelione. “Therefore, regardless of what law is enacted, marriage remains the union of one man and one woman – by the very design of nature, it cannot be otherwise.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ri-bishop-gay-marriage-we-ve-entered-post-christian-era

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Not sure what the Catholics are moaning about. In medieval times they operated a brothel right next to the Pope's residence for many many years.
    In fact supposedly 20% of the "John's" were clergy.

3. pspr

pspr

But, was it a Gay brothel?

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

No, it was the good kind. :)

5. Thank god. It's time to move on beyond Bronze Age mythology. Of course pisspoor has just now finally figured out Bronze Age kowledge so he's very scared of the change. LOL.

6. Max E.

Max E.

People still arent going to accept you having gay sex with your own brother.

7. jem

jem

I am pretty sure you are thanking the wrong entity for this new culture.

1. almost universally male gay marriage does not last even a few years.
    no male can live with another man for a long time. That is why we have the expression.... its nuts.

2. once you change the definition... there is no reason to prevent marriage between 3 men and a women or group marriage. This whole idea just breaks down the idea of a family.

3. If Gays really cared about America they should stop attempting to destroy the institution of a family and agree to an equal relationship with a different name. A whole lot of them know they were compromised as kids because their family was not there to protect them.

8. Lucrum

Lucrum

:D

futureCUNTS = moron extraordinaire.

9. I think Phoenix will disagree with you , Jem.

10. jem

jem

I have no problem with disagreements about opinions.
    Its very difficult to get stats about percentage of abused children who then go through sexual orientation issues but even in the 90s when I interacted with probation depts in juvie court they were certainly well aware it was an issue.

You combine that with the fact that when little kids get sexualized they frequently become predators themselves and you understand why a strong family structure keeping their kids protected is so important.

Finally if you think about it... other than children who are born with androgenous parts... can there really be a strong gay gene according to evolutionary theory?

In the nature vs nurture argument... being that gayness is a spectrum from very gay to bi to experimental... you have to accept that being gay has a strong nurture or environmental component for many gay people. (maybe it is all nature for a few gays, I am not trying to say there is no gay gene) I am saying the environment plays a larger part than it is PC to say.

#10     May 7, 2013