U.S. Inflation to Approach Zimbabwe Level, Faber Says

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, May 27, 2009.

1. zdreg

zdreg

and of course america is not becoming a 3rd world country.

#41     May 28, 2009
  2. piezoe

piezoe

You are making an important point that goes to a primary reason why actual deflation in the U.S. economy would be so disastrous, and why, therefore, the Fed will do what they can to prevent it. No one, private, corporate, or government, is going to be enthusiastic about returning more buying power to their creditors than they borrowed!

The situation in Japan is often brought up in discussions of the U.S. economy, but I think the parallels are a bit strained. One main difference, among several, is that Japan was and is a nation of savers, thus there was not the incentive there to inflate.

#42     May 29, 2009
  3. I think you are saying the policy will be such that the most people get screwed to benefit the few. It sounds like trading. I always was under the impression that we are all traders like it or not. Some of us accept it, othres ignore the big elephant in the room.

#43     May 29, 2009
  4. ..........................................................

We are all traders ....like it or not....

What is not bought and sold ?

Good post !!!!

#44     May 29, 2009
  5. Just imagine what it will be like in Zimbabwe then.

#45     May 29, 2009
  6. The fed can't pick and choose what to inflate and what to deflate. They can try, but they won't succeed.

Durable goods and housing keep falling, while select commodities and interest rates are inflating.

Disastrous fed policy. Totally and utterly disastrous...

If oil keeps rising, it will once again help crush the rest of any chance (however slim) of any economic recovery.

Watch and see.

#46     May 29, 2009
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Yes but that is easy to do for someone on a top tax rate.

Also there is no requirement for you to have employees other than yourself, there is no requirement for a physical presence beyond what is needed for the business (which for a one-man trader is a 100 sq ft office or study at home), revenues are your trading profits and costs are your trading costs.

In other words, it is a trivial requirement.

#47     May 31, 2009
  8. Cutten

Cutten

Hmm this is a good point, but bear in mind that bond yields going to 1.5% and real estate falling for 13 consecutive years is not exactly good for savers either. Also, pursuing an inflationary policy could cause a dollar crisis and get out of control like in the 70s (or worse). Hyperinflation in nominal terms is extremely deflationary for the price of local assets in real terms.

The Fed does have a mandate to ensure price stability and I just don't think they will deliberately inflate to a signficant degree beyond avoiding deflation. The questions are i) can they avoid deflation and ii) can they then avoid inflation if they went to extremes to avoid deflation, and iii) will they be willing to do both of these things? IMO the answers to 1 and 2 are yes, and the answer to 3 is debatable. Both QE and monetary tightening later on a la Volcker will alienate significant politically important constituencies.

#48     May 31, 2009
  9. Cutten

Cutten

So you are claiming US CFC laws have extra-territorial jurisdiction over foreign corporations? Not being a US citizen I haven't paid a tax attorney to clarify that, but I'd be surprised if you are correct.

#49     May 31, 2009
  10. I may be crazy, but at some point, Paul Volcker's lessons form the early 1980s will have to be recalled and repeated. I hope not. It wasn't a lot of fun, but it worked.

#50     May 31, 2009