U.S. Inflation to Approach Zimbabwe Level, Faber Says

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, May 27, 2009.

1. A little reality check for the Shadowstats non-sense: According to his numbers the US has been in a constant recession since the 1980s as real GDP (using his CPI) was constantly in negative territory -- which of course is a ridiculous conclusion.

For a more practical inflation analysis consider Shedlock's Case-Shiller modified OER CPI: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/04/cs-cpi-negative-50-third-straight-month.html

The CS OER-adjusted CPI is now in deeply deflationary territory.

#11     May 27, 2009
  2. I am highly confident that we will see double digit inflation rates by the end of 2011, I think more important than how inflation will be created is why it will be created. The federal budget that was cut for 2010 speaks of the reason, an increase of $500B (15%) from previous years budget can not be paid for by increasing tax rates, we already know that incomes have eroded and also a high tax increase will easily cause wealth to flee this country specially under current economic conditions, the only way to make up for the difference is to devalue the USD. There is no way around this, all other options will result in even greater losses.

#12     May 27, 2009
  3. The wealthy may flee the country, but they can't flee the iron grip of the IRS. US citizens (or should I say slaves) pay based on citizenship, not based on residence.

#13     May 27, 2009
  4. I'm sure they're not that stupid, you and I don't know the ways, but surely they do

#14     May 27, 2009
  5. Daal

Daal

US will do a quasi default without zimbabwe printing. Wealthy citizens will not get access to social security and medicare benefits by and large. Retirement age will likely be increased, this will cut down the massive unfunded liabilites by a lot, taxes will be raised on net in the next 10 years. Current debt levels are sustainable, tons of countries have more as a % of GDP

There will be some monetization but faber is just saying what his target audience of fed bashers wants to hear

#15     May 27, 2009
  6. Let's say i i move to hong kong, what if i just 10-99 my income, i mean what are they gonna do come to hong kong and audit me?

Probably a terribly ignorant question, sorry :cool:

#16     May 27, 2009
  7. I have bread....who wants to trade it for one billion usd?

#17     May 27, 2009
  8. Cutten

Cutten

But corporations don't. Pretty easy to move out of the USA, form a corporation in another country (preferably with low or 0% corp tax), invest a chunk of money into the corporation, then trade with it. Voila, decades of tax free profits entirely out of reach of uncle sam and the IRS without breaking any laws.

Draw out the $80k tax-free non-resident income each year to live off, anything you need beyond that just make loans or live off your current capital. After 10 years give up citizenship and you can pay the entire compounded corporate capital tax free.

#18     May 27, 2009
  9. Cutten

Cutten

"100% sure"?

What odds is Dr Faber offering, I'd quite like to take the other side of that trade. I'll even offer him 99-1 odds instead of infinity/100-0.

#19     May 27, 2009