U.S. Health Costs Double Ave. of 34 Nations

Discussion in 'Economics' started by piezoe, Oct 25, 2012.

1. piezoe

piezoe

Here is an informative article from PBS for those interested in U.S Health Care problems and what other countries do to make health care delivery more efficient. I note that the comparison is far too generous to the U.S., because despite the highest cost care in the world the U.S. is the only nation among the 34 compared where a sizable fraction of the population has no access to health care other than stop gap measures through emergency rooms. There are millions of U.S. citizens that fall below the poverty line that can not qualify for medicaid and are therefore effectively shut out of access to routine medical care.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...how-the-us-compares-with-other-countries.html

2. toc

toc

Excellent article and thanks PieZoe!

No wonder $20 toothbrushes and $10 for dozen of paper napkins make no sense in the US hospitals.

Cut this healthcare cost by even half, US will still be the top spender but save good $1.3 Trillion each single year.

In 10 years this means debt is vastly reduced. Basic maths, but political circles cannot figure it out.

Also, lobbyist would say it is taking away $1.3 Trillion from the economy annually, but majority i.e. more than half is going back into other pockets in the US, more to middle class where money is quickly respent into the economy. :D

3. piezoe

piezoe

I certainly agree that getting our health care system straightened out could pay huge dividends in both better health outcomes and a huge contribution toward reducing deficits. Health and "Defense" expenditures are driving our debt. It is NOT Social Security, nor is it welfare.

I see health care as a perfect example of how the worst features of capitalism come to the fore whenever you have too much regulation of the wrong kind combined with a lack of competition. It is very difficult to maintain a truly competitive health care market, but I don't think it is impossible. It may be, however, that their are fundamental reasons why health care cannot fit very well into the capitalist mold. That I'm increasingly uncertain about.