U.S. Headed For Economic Disaster

Discussion in 'Economics' started by pspr, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Evolution is bunk. Where did "matter" come from--did it materialize from nothing? It's much easier to explain that matter was created by an intelligent being outside of the physical world, than to start a theory on step #2 and assume humans evolved from primeval soup. Where did the primeval soup come from? I guess your case is still supported; just from the surprise of how many believe in an unsupportable theory like evolution that's forced down peoples throats everyday by our great education system.

#41     Jun 8, 2009
  2. dewton

dewton

I agree with you for the most part - however microevolution (ie. HIV, bacteria, etc) was proven to occur and is easily observed.

It's far more reasonable to say that an intelligent being (ie. God) created everything than to say that the universe and its physical laws came about just by random chance. (which brings another interesting question- which came first: the universe or physical laws?)

#42     Jun 8, 2009
  3. piezoe

piezoe

1. What does this have to do with economics?

2. It might be even more reasonable to admit we don't yet know the answers to many good questions, instead of invoking the supernatural, i.e. "god".

#43     Jun 8, 2009

4. Do you see how creative we created this financial crisis.
    We are not engineers, and so we can't solve the problem.

Creativity without problem solving skills lead us to ...

#44     Jun 8, 2009
  5. RZTrader

RZTrader

It is a fallacy to say that people with a structured mind and a good education are less capable of creativity.

In fact, in order for creativity to be turned into a successful endeavor, it takes quite an amount of discipline, education, and hard work.

All this to say that the japanese, germans, indians and chinese are certainly not less creative than the americans, but this, we will see just too clearly in the coming years.

As for US military bases being more important to US prosperity, it was true in a post-colonial, cold war era when the US had something to protect. But these bases are also a major source of spending that need to support economically viable business relationships, assets, capital, etc. This just seems to not be true anymore with the US owning fewer and fewer global manufacturing facilities and global resources/ assets. These military bases have now become more of a financial burden than a necessary support/protection for US prosperity.

#45     Jun 8, 2009
  6. dozu888

dozu888

it's not a fallacy.

so the chinese/indian kids are so advanced in maths/science.

how many nobel prize winners have they produced? and how does that compare to the US?

on the other hand, getting bombarded with exercises at young age just to score higher at maths/science, does not equal to 'structured mind', but more of a 'framed mind' if you ask me.

It certainly does not equal to 'better education'.

A lot of this bombardment is also driven by necessity. Take China for example, kids at 1st grade already has to do homework everyday till 8pm, plus weekend work, all this just so that they can get into a better middle school, a better high school, therefore a better college. There are 1.3 billion people but only so many good paying office jobs. Competition is FIERCE, and starts EARLY. The system is cruel, it kills childhood, and leaves no room for imagination.

I am certainly happy that my kids don't have to go thru that. They are having so much fun at school. They come home with 5-minutes worth of homework, the rest is free play time. For kids at young age, free play = the best learning. They touch things, they create things (albeit messy at the same time), they play with friends.

Are they as advanced as the Chinese kids at the same age in maths? Probably not.... but guess what, even with the globalization trend, I am not worried one bit about their competitiveness in the future. Because I know, that my kids will grow up as managers, while the math-savvy Chinese counterpart will be working for my kids.

#46     Jun 8, 2009
  7. As you got trained in China, you probably should have known that what you know is always wrong.
    :D

#47     Jun 8, 2009
  8. Mav88

Mav88

Are they as advanced as the Chinese kids at the same age in maths? Probably not.... but guess what, even with the globalization trend, I am not worried one bit about their competitiveness in the future. Because I know, that my kids will grow up as managers, while the math-savvy Chinese counterpart will be working for my kids.

Typical American wishful thinking: don't worry, we'll fool all those much more educated chinese into working for us.

#48     Jun 8, 2009
  9. Hope AND change?

#49     Jun 8, 2009
  10. dozu888

dozu888

wrong.

while the chinese kids are getting trained hard on how to work for other people, my kids are learning how to manage people - communication skills, creative skills, interpersonal skills.

It won't happen by accident. things are going on this course. give me a reason why you see otherwise.

#50     Jun 8, 2009