U.S. has no problems unloading soybeans in light of Chinese tariffs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Saltynuts, Apr 8, 2018.

1. destriero

destriero

Define winning.

We cannot win a trade-war with China as they don't buy our goods. The deficit is a structural "problem" between a mature, service-economy vs. a developing economy.

Chubbly and bullmarket79 like this.
  2. Right, we buy $500 billion in goods from China and they purchase $150 billion from us but what they CAN do is level the playing field a bit by allowing our corps to better sell there services and build there businesses there. A lot of American corps have money trapped in China due to tight money controls, which do work as Cyprus showed everyone.

comagnum likes this.
  3. destriero

destriero

The $150B is largely food.

Any US enterprise located in mainland China would domicile solely for the labor arbitrage.

Chubbly likes this.

4. Oh I dunno, could well be a lose lose situation. I just mean in the sense of who would cry uncle first. Just found the article interesting.

5. Good point. Article I did not see mention any. But whatever it was I bet it was less than what the overall tariffs would be on said soybeans. :)

6. So the thing in the article about Brazil selling its soybeans to the chinese got me thinking. im not saying these are the facts, but lets just assume the facts are:

total world supply of soybeans - 120 tons

US supply of soybeans - 50 tons

chinese consumption of soybeans - 60 tons

to the extent that is the case, do the tariffs really have any impact? china just switches to other providers for its soybeans, the US switches to supply those who were previously supplying the chinese, and boom no tariffs, no?

now if chinese comsumes all of the non-US world production of soybeans, and then some, that is a different story it would seem.

7. Cuddles

Cuddles

I'm sure they also paid pre tariff talks market price

8. How much do the new trade routes cost relative to the pre-tariff ones?

How much less quantity of units are demanded?

#10     Apr 8, 2018