U.S. Considering Sending Diplomatic Envoys to Iran for 1st Time Since 1979

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Very, very interesting. If this results in a diplomatic thaw between the U.S. and Iran, Israel should feel less threatened, Iran should feel more likely to make concessions on its nuclear program, and the tension that has contributed to so much instability in Iraq, the Persian Gulf and oil markets may dissipate.

John Kennedy established a direct line with Khrushchev, and it led to the prevention of a nuclear exchange, and Reagan did the same with Gorbachev, and it led to Glasnost, and the fall of the Berlin Wall.

IMO, this is a very, very positive development. This may be the hallmark of Bush's tenure if it results in a breakthrough. For whatever reason, I see the moderating hand of Condi Rice behind this move, and I'm glad.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2a7742ce-42...html&_i_referer=http://www.ft.com/home/europe

2. Too late to add to above post, but I also forgot to mention Nixon and his meetings with Mao Zedong, in 1972.

"The 1972 Nixon visit to China was the first step in formally normalizing relations between the United States and the People's Republic of China. It also marked the first time a U.S. president had visited the PRC, which considered the United States one of its biggest enemies. From February 21 to February 28, 1972, U.S. President Richard Nixon traveled to Beijing, Hangzhou and Shanghai."

So, Kennedy and Kruschev, Reagan and Gorbachev, and Nixon and Mao Zedong - all leading to thawed relations and reduced tensions.

Talking is a good thing. Especially when it accomplishes important policy goals.

3. ven.m

ven.m

yes, if you can't beat them join them :D

4. Interesting....where are the right wing kooks jobs now squealing about Bush meeting with dictators?

crickets....

And further...now 6 months before Bush is banished from public life forever... now...now and only now the "Axis of Evil," is not so evil anymore? Praise the Great Leader.

5. Just what we need, instant hostages. That worked out so well last time.

6. "US diplomats said this week that the State Department was considering opening an interests section in Tehran to handle issues such as visa processing, other consular-style services and, possibly, economic and political work. "

Hmmm, so they're "considering" this.....

Even if it happens, it's a far cry from the President agreeing to meet with Ahmadinejad face-to-face.

Bush haters please stop equating this to BO's stated willingness to meet with Ahmadinejad (oh, and not Petraeus).

7. I thought no one could be a worse Secretary of State than Madeline Albright but I was clearly wrong.

Why exactly is it a good idea to facilitate issuing visas to Iranians who want to come here? Why are they allowed to come here at all?