U.S. commander in Afghanistan talked with Obama only once

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Lots of us see your stupid shit.

#11     Sep 28, 2009
  2. Still buying the good old hope and change? LOL.

#12     Sep 28, 2009
  3. Excuse me, but I never voted for the man.
    But your endless "bashing" is quite juvenile and everyone here on ET can see that. This latest thread ( and your total ignorance regarding the chain of command at the Pentagon ) speaks volumes.

Quite frankly, I think that ET would be a lot better place if Baron would simply terminate this Forum. It has nothing to do with the financial markets, and nothing to do with making money... that is unless Baron needs the "web-hits" from this Forum to keep his business model afloat.

Perhaps that's where YOU come in.

#13     Sep 29, 2009

4. LOL. Now you come out with another lie and try to claim you are not an Obama lover. I guess the bandwagon isn't a fun place anymore for you.

What is the chain of command bullshit? You know nothing of the chain of command. Have you ever served this country Floyd? Probably not. The guy is a four star general and is in charge of the entire war in Afganistan. Hussein has said that Afganistan was going to be his primary focus and that it was the good war. Now, we come to find out that he is so dis-interested that he has only talked to the man executing the war one time in the last 70 days. McKiernan has submitted a report that says he needs 40,000 more troops in Afganistan. If Obama recieves this kind of report, it would be kind of nice if Obama had a talk with the guy to find out what the hell is going on.

Hey FloydLandis82, the bottomline is that Obama is a fraud, he is full of shit, and he is a bad leader. Everytime I see a news article that illustrates this point, I am going to post it and make comments on it. Its my right to do so, and nothing you say or do is going to shut me up about your hero and savior, B. Hussein Obama.

#14     Sep 29, 2009
  5. "General Stanley McChrystal, 9/27/09: “I’ve talked to the President once since I’ve been on a VTC.”

LA Times, 6/28/09, on SEIU president Andy Stern’s relationship with White House: “Stern estimates he visits the White House once a week.”

#15     Sep 30, 2009
  6. 43 U.S. Troops Have Died in Afghanistan Since Gen. McChrystal Called for Reinforcements
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009
    By Susan Jones, Senior Editor

A U.S. Marine pays his respects to a fallen comrade at a memorial service on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2009, in Helmand province, Afghanistan. (AP Photo)
    (CNSNews.com) – Another American died in Afghanistan on Wednesday, the final day of September--and exactly one month after the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan sent a confidential war assessment to the Obama administration, warning that more forces are needed--soon.

The as-yet-unnamed American serviceman who died on Wednesday was caught in a suicide attack in Khost Province, in eastern Afghanistan, press reports said.

On August 30, Gen. Stanley McChrystal sent Defense Secretary Robert Gates a war assessment in which he said more U.S. troops--and a new U.S. strategy--are needed if the U.S. is to defeat the insurgents in Afghanistan.

Since that Aug. 30 date, a total of 43 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines have died in a war that is now the subject of much discussion--and apparently some confusion--in Washington. Forty-two of those casualties have been identified by name in U.S. Defense Department press releases (see below), while the 43rd casaulty, which occurred today, has been confirmed in press reports, but not by name.

In his confidential report, which was leaked to the Washington Post on Sept. 21, Gen. McChrystal warned that defeating the insurgents will not be possible if the United States fails to "gain the initiative and reverse insurgent momentum" over the next 12 months.

McChrystal reportedly has prepared a separate request for tens of thousands of additional U.S. troops to be sent to the 68,000 already in Afghanistan.

Since Sept. 21, when the Washington Post leaked information from McChrystal’s confidential report, the White House has been on the defensive over its Afghanistan strategy.

As CNSNews.com reported on Tuesday, Barack Obama campaigned on a promise to reinforce U.S. troops in Afghanistan, which he described as war we “have to win.”

As president – in March 2009 – Obama announced a “comprehensive new strategy” for Afghanistan: “I want the American people to understand that we have a clear and focused goal to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat Al Qaeda in Pakistan and Afghanistan and to prevent their return to either country in the future,” he said. (See story)

But last week, Obama said he was not willing to send troops “beyond what we already have” until he was sure the United States is employing the right strategy in the region.

Then on Sunday, Gen. McChrystal told “60 Minutes” that he has talked to Obama only once in the past 70 days. At a briefing on Tuesday, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs noted that President Obama “receives a memo every week from General McChrystal.”

And on Wednesday, President Obama was “meeting” with McChrystal and other military officials in a video conference to discuss future plans for Afghanistan. The White House said President Obama’s national security team will also attend the video conference.

“But first, Obama welcomes golfing great Arnold Palmer to the Oval Office,” the Associated Press reported on Wednesday. Palmer is in town to receive the Congressional Gold Medal.

On Thursday, Obama plans to fly to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago as the venue for the 2016 Olympics. (See related story)

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, says it would be a mistake for President Obama to reject McChrystal’s call for an additional 40,000-or-so troops for Afghanistan.

"Time is not on our side, so we need a decision pretty quickly,” McCain told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Wednesday.

McCain said failure to send more U.S. troops to Afghanistan would “put the United States in much greater danger,” because insurgents would turn Afghanistan into a base for attack on the U.S. and its allies.

On the other side of the coin, Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) is urging President Obama to take weeks or even months to review the U.S. mission in Afghanistan, the Boston Globe reported on Wednesday.
    “I am arguing that the president has the time and we have the time,’’ Kerry told the newspaper. Kerry, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, indicated that he is not sure more troops are needed in Afghanistan.

#16     Sep 30, 2009
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Weak insinuation.

#17     Sep 30, 2009
  8. Perhaps you'd like to tell that to the family members?

#18     Sep 30, 2009
  9. Bugs...

You are such a CLOWN.

When Bush was spending nearly 25% of his Presidential term vacationing in Kennebunkporte, Maine or at Camp David, or down at the Crawford Ranch, I sure as hell didn't see you having a PROBLEM with the death toll for American soldiers climbing over 4,000 along with 29,000 wounded.

FACT:

97% of the deaths occurred AFTER Bush announced the end of "major combat" in Iraq on May 1st, 2003.

Mission Accomplished!

[​IMG]

#19     Sep 30, 2009
  10. Landis, Obama is the president.

#20     Sep 30, 2009