U.S. College Education Isn’t Worth Price

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, May 17, 2011.

1. At least over the net you can shut off the Liberal brain washing...

#11     May 18, 2011
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Well, of course that's my highly personal opinion. I find him incredibly boring. But I recognize there must be many that are glued to his every thought and word. Else why would he attract advertisers for his TV program.

#12     May 18, 2011
  3. Not only that, they don't get to grade me or assign any homework that may not help me learn the stuff I want to learn.

#13     May 18, 2011
  4. elon

elon

I'm going to say that being a successful trader has an IQ requirement.

#14     May 20, 2011
  5. As for intelligence and trading . . . i wasn't aware that following the crowd required intelligence.

As for schools and worth; lets just say I see a lot of foreign students at most of the State college/university campuses I visit. But private school? oh, no, that's not worth it unless you go to one of the best. IMO.

Average in state public tuition: about 5K/year
    Average out of state public tuition: about 10K
    Average private school tuition: about 25K
    (for two year schools it's about half that)

Our primary ed might be shit, but our post-secondary ed is one of the few things we can honestly say we are still #1 in the nation with.

#15     May 20, 2011
  6. zdreg

zdreg

LIVE AND LEARNWhy we have college.
    by Louis Menand
    JUNE 6, 2011 More and more Americans are going to college, but how many of them are actually learning anything?PRINTE-MAIL
    KEYWORDS
    “Academically Adrift” (Chicago; $25); Richard Arum; Josipa Roksa; “In the Basement of the Ivory Tower” (Viking;; $25.95); Professor X; Education
    My first job as a professor was at an Ivy League university. The students were happy to be taught, and we, their teachers, were happy to be teaching them. Whatever portion of their time and energy was being eaten up by social commitments—which may have been huge, but about which I was ignorant—they seemed earnestly and unproblematically engaged with the academic experience. If I was naïve about this, they were gracious enough not to disabuse me. None of us ever questioned the importance of what we were doing.

At a certain appointed hour, the university decided to make its way in the world without me, and we parted company. I was assured that there were no hard feelings. I was fortunate to get a position in a public university system, at a college with an overworked faculty, an army of part-time instructors, and sixteen thousand students. Many of these students were the first in their families to attend college, and any distractions they had were not social. Many of them worked, and some had complicated family responsibilities.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/06/06/110606crat_atlarge_menand#ixzz1O12gCMX8

#16     Jun 1, 2011
  7. Yeah, gravity and magnetism are liberal concepts that were concocted to replace the real and only force that exists, namely God.

#17     Jun 1, 2011
  8. Magic8

Magic8

An undergrad engineering degree from a Top 10 Public University.

Best return on investment one can achieve, over a lifetime.

#18     Jun 1, 2011
  9. Yeah... either "fairly high" or "very low".

#19     Jun 1, 2011
  10. jfranco

jfranco

WHATS THE IQ REQUIREMENT? IM AT 119

#20     Jun 1, 2011