U.S. accuses Massachusetts hedge fund manager of fraud

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, May 23, 2017.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

ByNate Raymond|BOSTON
    A Massachusetts hedge fund manager has been arrested and accused of misappropriating millions of dollars from investors and engaging in a Ponzi-like scheme, U.S. authorities said.

Yasuna Murakami, who managed Cambridge, Massachusetts-based MC2 Capital Management LLC, was arrested in Vermont on Saturday and charged in a criminal complaint with wire fraud, according to papers unsealed in federal court in Boston on Monday.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filed a related lawsuit against Murakami and Avi Chiat, his partner at MC2, and their firm, accusing them of defrauding investors about the funds' performance after raising $15 million.

The SEC said that since 2008, Murakami, 44, also stole more than $8 million invested with him, and used an additional $1.3 million to make Ponzi-like payments to earlier investors by misappropriating funds from later ones.

Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin brought an administrative action in January against Murakami for operating a Ponzi scheme.

Murakami was arrested in Vermont on Saturday as he crossed back into the United States from Canada, a spokeswoman for Acting U.S. Attorney William Weinreb in Boston said.

Lawyers for Murakami and Chiat did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-hedgefunds-massachusetts-fraud-idUSKBN18I1ZL

2. Overnight

Overnight

Scumbags!

3. oh come on, this kind of news are coming out every singe day.

4. Overnight

Overnight

That should give you an idea of how prevalent this crap is...And these are only the folks getting caught doing it! Scumbags!

dealmaker likes this.
  5. motif

motif

You been hanging out with Maxine Waters?

6. NO I think he has been hanging out with the Russians :sneaky:

7. true story man, a lot of people who work in finance ( I mean top-level executives) are scumbags.