Types of Systems You'd Consider Automating?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NewTrader555, Jul 18, 2012.

1. So, I have a little bit of experience with automated trading, but have had inconsistent results so far. I realize that not all strategies/systems perform the same in all markets, however i was just wondering what types of strategies you would automate vs. trading manually?

The way I see things, ETFs tied to the large indexes like the DOW or S&P, NASDAQ, should be fairly easy to trade with an automated system as these aren't going to nessasary have the problems that you may have when trading a small cap stock where negative news may tank that stock. These trade in a range and astute investors can see when things aren't right and crashes are coming. So basically, with these just going up and down each day and being fairly volatile lately- do you think they are good for automated systems that basically just look at the highs and low ranges and trade execute trades when extreme conditions are at play or merely through a combination of indicators that will show bullish or bearish conditions?

Also what platforms should I be looking at for autoamted trading?