TWTR <-- Dead Meat

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by kmiklas, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Sig

Sig

Again, you've decided, based on no evidence, that not only 50% of Twitters users but 50% of the revenue generation on Twitter not only dissaproves of Trump being held to the TOS but will respond by leaving Twitter. I keep pointing this out and you keep ignoring it because it doesn't fit your narrative. Yes I'm familiar with social media company metrics, but I've also started two successful companies so I'm even more familiar with the fact that metrics are meaningless compared to the bottom line. And I'm familiar with the ambiguity of running a business and the frequent "damned if you do and dammed if you don't" situations you face. Will this impact their bottom line? Maybe. Could doing nothing have impacted their bottom line more, espy over the next 10 years? Very possibly. I get that it all seems black and white to you now, but you're a smart guy and with some life experience you'll come to realize the world doesn't actually work that way and there frequently isn't a right answer.

I really don't know what your rant about news alerts and Trump's very important award from Morocco has to do with Twitter enforcing their TOS? At the end of the day, you are demanding the government tell private companies what they can and can't say because you don't think your guy is being lionized by the media like he should. Unlike all the idiotic cries about private companies being required to follow the First Amendment (they're not, read it!), what you're asking for actually does fly directly in the face of the First Amendment.

Again I have to ask if you actually read the Mueller report? Because it sure looks like you are spouting the Bill Barr and right wing media version of it rather than what it actually said. Not only was Pelosi accurate in her post, but her posts didn't lead to 5 people dying in an attack on Congress while ratifying the election! You're simply being obtuse if you continue to act as if you don't grasp the seriousness of that to the continuing existence of a stable, free country which, as it turns out, is also pretty damn important to Twitter's bottom line. They realize that even if you don't.

It is an interesting response when I point out you're cherry picking data you just start flailing around. So let's try this. Everyone in the Senate is old, Schumer however is 8 years younger than McConnel. Trump was 23 years older than Obama at inauguration. Absolutely, Pelosi is older than McCarthy. But then I hear constantly from the right that AOC has huge influence over the Democratic party and she's too young and inexperienced for the influence she and the other members of "the squad" have.

Its just an idiotic assertion to make that somehow the Republicans are younger and therefore somehow better, because not only is it generally not true but Republicans have and in the case of AOC and "the squad" still are criticizing Democrats for being too young! I get it, you're still a kid and you feel like old fossilized people in power don't represent you. That's probably true, but it's a problem across parties and you probably want to take the plank out of your own party's eye before turning to your neighbor as Mathew 5:7 tells us.

And yes, the stuff your party did when you were a kid did still happen even if you didn't experience it or remember it. I'm glad that you agree that the criticism relentlessly leveled at Obama by conservatives about his relative youth was uncalled for and wrong though. You're starting to see the light.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    #131     Jan 17, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

One man's poison is another man's meat.

#132     Jan 17, 2021
  3. ET180

ET180

I'm going to keep this short because frankly it's not really worth my time to reply to you.

1. In the last election, if you believe the official numbers, roughly 51.2% voted for Biden and 46.9% for Trump. Pretty close to 50/50. Kicking off the guy that 46.9% of America voted for is going to piss off a lot of people. All of your statements about revenue are speculation. You don't really know how it will affect Twitter going forward. We have our own opinions, let's leave it at that.

2. I made the argument and showed examples of Big Tech and media playing a much bigger influence in our election compared to whatever Russia managed to do on Facebook in 2016. You don't think China was doing everything they can to get Trump out of office? We'll never know what happened with C19...

3. "[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities". That quote came directly from the report. To claim as Pelosi did that whatever Russia did was enough to overturn the election is utter speculation and therefore a disputed claim. As I said earlier, there's simply no evidence to back it up.

4. The top 4 2020 Dem nominees by delegate count are all over 70, 3 are in their late 70s. Compare to 2016 Republican nominations by delegate count. Trump had just turned 70, 2 were under 50, and Kasich was 65. Go here: http://www.senate.gov/senators/leadership.htm. Look at Dem and Republican leadership. On the Dem side, only 3 out of 11 are under 70. On the Republican side, only 2 out of 6 are older than 70. People can draw their own conclusions... Btw, I have not heard Republicans criticizing AOC for being too young. I have heard Republicans criticize her embracing horrible policies that reflect a lack of wisdom. Same case with Obama...I don't recall anyone criticizing him for being young, but rather not having enough experience. My point about the large number of old Dems is that I suspect that they are just in it for themselves and cannot let go of the power and attention.

#133     Jan 20, 2021
  4. Sig

Sig

Who knew your time was so valuable, I feel honored that you deigned to share those precious minutes with me!

Here's the bottom line. We live in a capitalist free country, despite Trump's efforts and now your efforts to subvert the First Amendment. You think companies like Twitter don't know how to run a business, and that they're "unfair", and that everyone who voted for Trump loved his Twitter feed and will stop using Twitter now, and no one who is against rioters attacking the capital would care that Twitter continued to allow Trump to spew his vitriol, and all the rest of that snowflake victimhood. You in your infinite wisdom with your experience clearly know so much better. Then this is a spectacular opportunity for you to start a competitor that will decimate them. You've got the most productive 30-40 years of your life ahead of you. And 30 years ago Twitter not only didn't exist but none of the infrastructure that made it possible existed. So your job's much easier then the libs of "Big Tech" who built everything you use today. You don't need to build the internet, teach everyone how it works, figure out the concept of social media, develop coding languages and educate developers.... All you have to do is copy what has already been built and apply your young conservative values to it.

You have to ask yourself, why are you using your oh so valuable time whining and crying here when you could be out doing something about it using the capitalist framework you allegedly believe in? Put up or shut up. I mean at this point you really sound like the villains in an Ayn Rand novel advocating for co-opting an entire industry you weren't good enough to make yourself instead of being the rugged individualist hero who actually builds things. Is that really what you're aiming for in life?

Good luck finding enough folks who are both smart enough to build the infrastructure you need to preach the conservative anti-intellectual message and willing to do the same though. Maybe you can force them to work for you like you think private companies should be forced to be "fair" to a guy who incited an attack on the Presidential vote certification and gush over his Very Important Award from Morocco? Hire the folks who designed the authentication system over at Parler, or Giuliani's "cybersecurity" consulting firm? Or maybe, just maybe, when you yourself get some experience in the world and have actually run a company and dealt with real life, you'll realize that there's a good reason that almost everyone at every level in the tech world sees the world differently than you. As I've said before, I wish you luck in coming to your senses sooner than I did.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    #134     Jan 21, 2021
    Sprout and Cuddles like this.
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

Twitter ain't going nowhere. Trump is gone, life will continue, everyone will forget and tune in to see what Kimye and the rest of the clan are up to. Trump who?

#135     Jan 21, 2021
    themickey likes this.
  6. themickey

themickey

images-3.jpeg

#136     Jan 21, 2021
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

The "My Pillow" guy is doing worse than Twitter I would say :D

#137     Jan 21, 2021
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

1. TWTR may go down because Trump was a cash cow and drew eyeballs. The butthurt con boycott will have the same effect as Nike

2. I though no Russian ever changed any con's mind on social media? Now social media's changing people's minds? Read the DNI's conclusion on "Chinese" electoral influence, to cut it short, nil. The Russian influence impact is well documented, read it.

3. Read the bipartisan senate report. Sessions being ousted to get cleaner Barr to write his summary of conclusions does not dissolve what Mueller wrote.

4. old people on both sides.

#138     Jan 21, 2021
  9. zghorner

zghorner

It has been doing pretty stinking good the past few days, I closed out my puts at break even.

#139     Jan 21, 2021
  10. Sig

Sig

And Twitters Q1 results were announced today Twitter (TWTR) earnings Q1 2021 (cnbc.com). Some highlights for our friends @ET180 and @kmiklas whose predictions didn't age well:
    -Revenue of $1.04 billion for the quarter, which was up 28% from $808 million a year prior.
    -Profit of $68 million, contrasted with a loss of $8.4 million a year ago.
    -Total number of monetizable daily users grew by 7 million from the fourth quarter

Or TLDR, Twitter is the opposite of "Dead Meat" and the 50% drops that @ET180 was predicting not only didn't happen but the opposite in fact occurred.

So it turns out that in fact there is very little overlap between people who voted for Trump and those who drive Twitter's business, and/or a lot of people who voted for Trump weren't all that unhappy that he was kicked off Twitter. And people who have run businesses like Jack Dorsey know WTF they're talking about a whole lot more than people like @ET101 who haven't.

Who knew? Oh, that's right, all the rest of us on the thread who said exactly this three months ago! The only question now is if @ET180 will use this as a learning experience and realize how much their personal political beliefs are coloring their view of the world (and how off they are from reality), or slink off and pretend it never happened?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    #140     Apr 29, 2021
    Frederick Foresight likes this.