TwsActiveX

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by danjuma, Oct 16, 2011.

1. gmst

gmst

why do you say work done by IB regarding both DDE and ActiveX worksheet is very poor? On the contrary, I find that those worksheets provide most of the basic functions that someone needs including passing quotes, orders, account level information etc. etc. It seems possible to build anything on top of the worksheet that they have provided. So, why you think their work is sloppy? Maybe this question reflects my limited understanding regarding their VBA coding in excel. It will be great if you can explain. Thanks.

#41     Jun 24, 2013
  2. gmst

gmst

Steve, you are suggesting a round-about approach. Instead of directly using DDE worksheet provided by IB to get data in spreadsheet for further processing, you are suggesting capturing data through a VB/C# program and then streaming it into excel using NDde. I am wondering what benefits does this round about approach has over the one used by IB?

Thanks in advance!

#42     Jun 24, 2013
  3. gmst

gmst

ping - i asked 3 questions. hope at least one gets a reply :)

#43     Jun 27, 2013
  4. My experience is that it is more reliable as well as acting globally to the entire workbook.
    The Private or Public reference to TWS could become "nothing" from time to time.
    You need to place FixTwsRef in all procedures that use the MyTws reference.
    Public MyTws as New TWSLIB.Tws

Public Sub FixTwsRef
    If MyTws is Nothing then
    Set MyTws = New TWSLIB.Tws
    End If
    End Sub

I don't believe it's ever been fixed.

#44     Jul 2, 2013
  5. gmst

gmst

Sys - Thank You Very Much. I am still new with the IB worksheet. Once I become a bit more familiar, I will see if I can connect to TWS using activex instantiated via VBA, rather than calling activex object in each sheet.

#45     Jul 2, 2013
  6. gmst

gmst

Steve, I hope you see this. Your PM is disabled. No way to get in touch with you!

#46     Jul 10, 2013