TWS works well with Linux?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by GloriaBrown, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Because Gateway normally would auto logout after awhile!?

#31     Jul 2, 2019
  2. Both Gateway and TWS would auto logout once per day, every day. Some time ago IB changed this approach and made it auto logoff once per week, on Saturday. However, sometimes I'm away during the weekend and want my program to continue running from one week into the following week. In those cases is IBController helpful as it will take care of the log on after the forced logoff occurred.

#32     Jul 2, 2019
  3. Very cool, why don't you choose Windows+C#/Java that kind of approach then!?

#33     Jul 2, 2019
  4. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

It doesn't really matter what your IB API program is written in. Last time I looked ( a few years ago using C++), your program will communicate with the IB/API via internal tcp sockets....that is, technically, you can communicate to the API with anything that has the ability to send tcp messages..if you're clever enough.

Desktop apps that require a GUI seem to be written in java more often than not. I think Java is a hideous language (compared to C++), but I couldn't care less what something is written in if alls I have to do is push/pull tcp messages from it.

#34     Jul 2, 2019
  5. Because my computer was already using Ubuntu before I started all this trading related activity. No need to switch from Ubuntu to Windows for this.

#35     Jul 2, 2019
  6. Anyone of you uses powerful hardware with Linux to do massive amount of calculation with data from IB?

#36     Jul 3, 2019
  7. Does a calculator with really big fat buttons count? It's solar charging.

#37     Jul 3, 2019
  8. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

What's "massive" ?

#38     Jul 4, 2019
  9. That's because you know nothing about Java or C++, or you wouldn't say stupid things like this.

Java is based on C++, you idiot.

#39     Jul 4, 2019
  10. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Lol, alright than. You idiot

#40     Jul 4, 2019
    traderslair likes this.