TWS works well with Linux?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by GloriaBrown, Jun 30, 2019.

1. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

It doesn't really matter what it is written in...as long as it works. OP didn't say he's writing code.

I have no issues with TWS on Ubuntu 18.04.

#11     Jul 1, 2019
    d08 and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  2. wildchild

wildchild

Have been using it with Ubuntu 18.04. Seems to work fine for me.

#12     Jul 1, 2019
  3. I've used Linux mint for a fully automated IB gateway setup for over 5 years now, with no issues.

GAT

#13     Jul 1, 2019
  4. So why is this happening with most of my customers in Chicago and NYC?

You know nothing.

Memory leaks in Java are probably one of the easiest fixes, compared to C++.

C# has a mini market share compared to Java, the marketing train is on full power with Blazor and .net core 3.0 but it's not materializing.

Why am I even arguing with somebody who isn't even in this industry?

#14     Jul 1, 2019
    blueraincap and djames like this.
  5. TWS and Ubuntu go together like peas and carrots. Still, thinking about going API / Python in console once I am fully funded and can trade multiple times every day.

#15     Jul 1, 2019
  6. Maybe most of your customers are switching to Java from C++ so that is why you see that. What is your sample size? What do you sell to them?

In terms of AUM, I know from direct knowledge that ~180 billion (n=3) is using C# in front office operations and one switched from C++ -> [Java,Jython,Python] -> C++. The initial switch from C++ to Java was A Big Project, PHB driven, and was given 5 years or so to run. They didn't want to handle the constant bullshit from the JVM. Sure, they could hire experts but the threshold needing experts is actually lower for Java than C++ when it comes to high performance because C++ is usually fast by default. If you have some simple coding standards, and some slightly thoughtful architecture, C++ is really straightforward, esp C++11 onwards. To be clear, I did suggest that they let me do it for them in Python

I saw Scala used in research, so maybe that's where you see JVM usage?

Clearly your customers like Java and that's fine. I would be interested to know about your customers' use cases. Intellectually, I really like the JVM, even wrote an open source class file parser way back when it came out which is apparently still maintained as a toy example.

In any case, the industry is a herd industry so maybe everyone does use Java except the big boys (which matches what I see).

#16     Jul 1, 2019
    blueraincap likes this.
  7. kmiklas

kmiklas

Python++

#17     Jul 1, 2019
  8. d08

d08

Not the question. Question was if the TWS platform, which is written in Java, can be used without problems. Answer's yes.

#18     Jul 1, 2019
    HobbyTrading likes this.
  9. I write code too

#19     Jul 2, 2019
  10. Tws+ubuntu+java is the best?

#20     Jul 2, 2019