TWS unstable since Thurs 6/19

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by tomahawk, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Latest Java 6 beta seems stable to me for a few weeks now

#11     Jun 20, 2008
  2. I always use stand alone version and never have problems with it. I would recommend using stand alone.

#12     Jun 20, 2008
  3. Stand-alone experience (884) did not go well for me. After the download I could never get it to launch ... then had trouble removing it (Java issues, no doubt).

Finally removed all TWS and Java, went back to old Java (1.5) and quick test of 884 seemed ok, although it was after market close, so not a true test. We'll see how it goes Monday, but I think the main lesson here is never use the latest versions of TWS and Java - as seems to be the consensus.

It'd be nice if IB let us know ahead of time when we're about to open a brand new version without us having to find out the hard way... EVERY TIME.

Anyway, thanks guys for your input.

#13     Jun 21, 2008
  4. IB needs to seriously get their act together, or they are going to lose a lot of accounts in the next couple of weeks!

#14     Jun 21, 2008
  5. I'm using TWS 884 and Java 6 Beta version without problem. I've been using them since shortly after 884 was introduced....perhaps over a month ago. If you guys are having difficulties, I'd at least question something besides TWS. I have a new computer, dual core, 2G memory, windows XP Pro. What you're experiencing does not appear to be system wide.

OldTrader

#15     Jun 21, 2008
  6. At IB don`t care lost customers ....

#16     Jun 21, 2008
  7. Makes no sense that so many would be having problems when most are stable.

If thats the case there's a reason, and it's not IB sux.

I have seen little or no problem with 884.6and Java 1.6_0.10 beta

XP on a well worn install. SP3 and all .

#17     Jun 21, 2008
  8. A couple of things:
    1) IB's software release upgrades are always painful. It's best to remember your config settings and then UNINSTALL everything, then re-install the new release and then re-config. I know, I know...this is a huge pain and time-waster.
    2) It's dangerous to be using Java's JVM 1.6 release without IB's recommendation. Many have been "burnt" moving up to 1.6 from 1.5. Agree, some have been able to run 1.6 however.....very strange.
    3) IB apparently has no sophisticated in-house regression testing platform, nor do they use pre-beta testers. This is poor programming practice.

#18     Jun 22, 2008
  9. syswizard, exactly what sys are you a wizard of?

Your suggestion #1 reminds me of the 'reformat' clowns that inhabit the computer universe.

I have been an IB customer since before you were born, and I had to 'reinstall' from scratch exactly ONCE in all these decades.

Stop giving ridiculous advice.

#19     Jun 22, 2008
  10. rcj

rcj

ive been using TWS for just over 3 yrs. Never have experienced
    anything like the problems i read about here re upgrades, installs, etc. Just doesnt happen.

i trade on a 4 yr old HP w AMD processor, XP sp2. Java is 1.6.05. ive used both standalone and browser TWS.

And...after reading this thread, i upgrades to latest standalone.
    Again no problem.

It would be interesting to me to remote view some of the computers that are giving problems. Amazing!!

Good luck guys...and sorry u r having problems.
    rj

#20     Jun 22, 2008