TWS Problems Solved by Clean Install

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by PuffyGums, Mar 15, 2004.

1. You are familiar with that certain combination of TWS problems: TWS opens to a gray screen, quotes are slow (or don't exist), you keep getting logged off, re-logging in is slow (or takes many attempts), TWS response is slow (marketable orders are processed slowly).

A solution to all of these problems might be a clean install of TWS. I think the issue is file corruption in the *.lyt files in the XML directory (the one named something like C:\JTS\dwlcjwfzv). Normally TWS catches corrupt files are replaces them with a default version of the *.lyt file. This is what is going on when suddenly someone loses their hotkeys or pages. This may occur on a TWS upgrade or after an application or OS crash.

Certain forms of file corruption make it past TWS' checks and cause the application to be bogged down with processing Java exceptions instead of processing the application itself. All of the symptoms listed on top can be because of slowness due to the application being starved of CPU cycles.

A solution is a clean install which will give you uncorrupted *.lyt files that you can copy and store in case they become corrupted in the future. Yes you will have to MANUALLY recreate all your pages, settings and hotkeys. But its worth the trouble because you'll get a clean set of *.lyt files.

Step 1- Clean out existing TWS.
    Delete the following registry keys (it probably doesn't matter but I like to get rid of everything):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trader Workstation
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wise Solutions

(If you can identify more registry keys used by TWS or its installation program add them to this thread.)

Note: Save the TWS startup string by right clicking on the icon and going to Properties. Copy the string and save it in notepad.

Step 2- Delete the C:\Jts directory and all its contents. Delete C:\temp\Jts. (There is nothing in there, but I like to get rid of everything.

Step 3- Download the TWS installation package (not the upgrade) and run it under a user with admin rights. If the account you use doesn't have admin rights, use Run As to temporarily give yourself admin rights.

Step 4- Manually recreate the pages, settings and hotkeys. Once you have verified that everything is working OK, copy the XML directory to a safe location in case you need clean *.lyt files to correct any future file corruption.

Step 5- Go to your TWS icon, right click, go to Properties and look at the startup string. Make sure it still contains the noddraw clause (if you needed to add it) and make sure it's pointing to the version of Java that you want. The TWS install package points TWS to the IE default Java JRE which may not be the Java you wish to use with TWS.

Final note: If you have had a problem with TWS quotes or any of the TWS problems mentioned above and the clean install procedure fixes them (or doesn't) report your findings either way on this thread.

2. Another strange way to clear out existing TWS problems -especially slow relogging and disappearing quotes- is the following:

1. While TWS is working properly, disconnect your internet connection
    2. TWS goes pink - NOW CLOSE IT
    3. Restore your internet connection, start TWS - my problems were gone -

3. puffy g.

Three times today my tws has performed an illegal operation and shut down.
    I think I understand every thing that you said except for this part.

.......TWS opens to a gray screen, quotes are slow (or don't exist), you keep getting logged off, re-logging in is slow (or takes many attempts), TWS response is slow (marketable orders are processed slowly).

A solution to all of these problems might be a clean install of TWS. I think the issue is file corruption in the *.lyt files in the XML directory (the one named something like C:\JTS\dwlcjwfzv). Normally TWS catches corrupt files are replaces them with a default version of the *.lyt file. This is what is going on when suddenly someone loses their hotkeys or pages. This may occur on a TWS upgrade or after an application or OS crash.

Certain forms of file corruption make it past TWS' checks and cause the application to be bogged down with processing Java exceptions instead of processing the application itself. All of the symptoms listed on top can be because of slowness due to the application being starved of CPU cycles.

A solution is a clean install which will give you uncorrupted *.lyt files that you can copy and store in case they become corrupted in the future. Yes you will have to MANUALLY recreat all your pages, settings and hotkeys. But its worth the trouble because you'll get a clean set of *.lyt files.

Step 1- Clean out existing TWS.
    Delete the following registry keys (it probably doesn't matter but I like to get rid of everything):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trader Workstation
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wise Solutions

(If you can identify more registry keys used by TWS or its installation program add them to this thread.)

Note: Save the TWS startup string by right clicking on the icon and going to Properties. Copy the string and save it in notepad.

Step 2- Delete the C:\Jts directory and all its contents. Delete C:\temp\Jts. (There is nothing in there, but I like to get rid of everything.

Step 3- Download the TWS installation package (not the upgrade) and run it under a user with admin rights. If the account you use doesn't have admin rights, use Run As to temporarily give yourself admin rights.

Step 4- Manually recreate the pages, settings and hotkeys. Once you have verified that everything is working OK, copy the XML directory to a safe location in case you need clean *.lyt files to correct any future file corruption.

Step 5- Go to your TWS icon, right click, go to Properties and look at the startup string. Make sure it still contains the noddraw clause (if you needed to add it) and make sure it's pointing to the version of Java that you want. The TWS install package points TWS to the IE default Java JRE which may not be the Java you wish to use with TWS.

Final note: If you have had a problem with TWS quotes or any of the TWS problems mentioned above and the clean install procedure fixes them (or doesn't) report your findings either way on this thread.

IMHO the best solution is a new brokerage account.
    regards.

:( :(

4. Anyone who has a fussy TWS and tried the clean install procedure, tell us your results. Did it improve the performance of TWS?