TWS on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by learner2007, Oct 4, 2012.

1. I'm going to buy some new computers shortly and was wondering if anyone, including IB, has tried TWS on a pre-release version of Windows 8, and if they encountered any problems that didn't exist when using TWS on Win.7.

Thank you.

2. d08

d08

Are you sadomasochistic?

3. I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking to buy a windows 8 PC and the Lumia 920.

4. Mr_You

Mr_You

TWS relies on Java.

5. Yes, but I remember some software that was not compatible
    with 7, XP etc. at the time those versions were first released.

While I would like to buy the latest models with 8 installed, if there are initial problems with 8, I'll buy the current models with 7 and a $15 option for 8. That's why I'm asking if anyone has had a chance to try TWS on a pre-release version of 8.

First I asked IB and the CS guy said he didn't know if TWS is already compatible or not.

Thank you

6. being as it that its written in java makes it platform independent..
    platform independence has a cost.... but it has a benefit to.. unless windows 8 has bugs related to java virtual machine.. jvm you wont have problems..

7. vicirek

vicirek

I have only tried their IB API. It required some components (c++ redistributable, j# redisttributable) to register API. I will check if I can run TWS by itself and let you know tomorrow ( away from my Win 8 machine now)

8. RoadBerry

RoadBerry

Windows 8 Evaluation copy Build 8400 runs IB TWS and Ninja without any problems on my older Dell 490 with dual Zeon processors.

9. vicirek

vicirek

TWS installs and runs on Win8. Demo had to be run using desktop browser not metro browser (Win 8 can be confusing at times). Obviously Java install comes first before TWS.

10. >vicirek
    >RoadBerry

Thank you very much for the information you provided. Based you what you said I'll wait for the winter models that come out this month with Win. 8 installed.

Thank you again for your time and trouble.

#10     Oct 5, 2012