TWS on 64 bit Win7

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by vikana, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Have anyone been able to install IB/TWS on 64 bit Windows 7?

The installer complains that I need to run Java 1.4 or higher. I'm on the latest 1.6.0_17 x64 so that is not the problem.

Maybe I need to install 32bit Java, but I'd prefer to keep it 64bit as my other Java software benefits from that.

Here is what I did, which is less than elegant: took the unix TWS and extracted the files to c:\JTS. Ran the API install, which ran fine. Copied the shortcut and .ico file from a TWS on XP.

Runs and tests fine, but I'd prefer to have native 64 bit install work.

Any suggestions?

2. All I can say is that from prior experience on a 64 bit vista machine, you had to copy Javaw.exe file. If I remember correctly
    its.. c:\programx86, java, jre6, bin, ...right click javaw.exe and copy

go to...

c:\windows, system32 ...right click in blank area and paste the file.

Also ,I have tried downloading java from there website = mine field of BS.. thought I was poindexter and downloaded brand new java for 64 bit machines, didnt work, could not remove in the end had to wipe out my harddrive.

I actually downgraded recently 32bit windows xp to trade, trust me it's faster and a lot more reliable. The thing w/ @ vista 64 is that unless what you plug in is designed specifically for it, you can expect problems.

3. I ran it fine back on the betas. I was using the JDK because I wanted the server version not just user.

But I also agree with the last poster - the best trading OS is Win XP Pro, SP3.

4. U guys are just whimpy. You gonna let a computer get the best of you? Been kicking their butts since the days of the Atari 800 and I aint about to stop now.
    [​IMG]
    No those are not USB ports, they are meant for automating manicures.

This works fine for me W7 x64

Note you should only change the
    "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe" part

Not to be confused with this guy
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Actually , come to think of it, I'm running 32 bit Java, didn't see the need for the 64 bit version. I suspect you could install both and simply change the loader to point to which ever version you want to run TWS with.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;hsqldb.jar;jcommon-1.0.12.jar;jfreechart-1.0.9.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;riskfeed.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx512M jclient/LoginFrame D:\PROGRA~1\Jts

5. thanks for the input. It seems to be a 32 bit vs 64 bit java issue, at least as far as the TWS installer is concerned.

I'm staying with a 64 bit JVM for other reasons, so at this point I'll settle for my little install hack.

6. You are not right. I suggest it to discuss.

7. I get:

The "jts.ini" file could not be read.

no matter which java version (32 or 64 bit) I try.

Grrrrr. Anybody have any ides?

8. I hate to reply to myself so soon, but I just copied the "jts" folder in "Program Files" from my XP computer and copied it over to my Win7-64 computer and off I went. Strange that the TWS installer didn't install all the files, though. :confused:

9. An IB employee told me that in order to run TWS under Win 7 64 bit, one must install BOTH the 32 bit Java AND the 64 bit Java. He told me that people are having problems installing because they are not aware they need both Java versions together. I can't test this employee's advice because I am not yet on Win 7, but I would like to know if this advice is correct.

10. Install both versions of Java. Even though you have a 64 bit OS, many items default to x86 (32bit) applications.

#10     Jul 4, 2010