TWS Just Disappeared... Great...

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by version77, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Java Plug-in 1.4.0?

#21     Nov 18, 2003
  2. Ninja

Ninja

Had this same problem in the summer (re-login wasn't a problem though) for some weeks. I upgraded SUN Java JRE to 1.4.0_02 (and maybe TWS too) and the problem disappeared. I even forgot that I ever had this problem until your post.

#22     Nov 18, 2003
  3. Yes this is probably the problem - incompatible network card (Linksys for me). I had this a year or two ago - would shut down and have strange errors - lock up whole operating system etc.

DLink works fine...

#23     Nov 18, 2003
  4. Open the Command Prompt window and type in
    java -version and hit return. What version of java does it say you are running?

An alternative is to go to the following link and it will automatically tell you what version of the Java virtual machine you are running:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp

It seems you do have Sun Java installed. I was wondering if you were just using the MS Java virtual machine which would be way out of date if you were.

The term plug-in refers to the browser java and I'd like to know what version of standalone java you have. I'm guessing your standalone version is the same as the plug in. Assuming you also have 1.4.0 standalone java installed, you need to upgrade to the latest non-beta version from the Sun website.

The 1.4.0 version had problems and many bug fixes have been released since. IB may not even be supporting that early a version of java.

The download link to the latest Sun java version is
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Once you install the new java, right click on the TWS icon, go to Properties and update the startup string to relfect the location and name of the new JRE (Java runtime environment).

#24     Nov 18, 2003
  5. Uh huh. Guess which card I added not too long ago? ATI Radeon... :eek:

#25     Nov 18, 2003
  6. Then add the no direct draw code to the startup string as described in page 3 on this thread

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

#26     Nov 18, 2003
  7. taodr

taodr

I said that in the beginning but was ignored.

#27     Nov 18, 2003
  8. Is this what you wanted to be put in?

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_01\bin\javaw.exe -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar C:\JTS\jts.jar C:\JTS

Right now this is what is in TWS:

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\bin\javaw.exe" -jar C:\Jts\jts.jar C:\Jts

When i added in what you said to, it brought up a window
    saying something like it wouldn't start TWS because of some
    reason I don't remember! :D

#28     Nov 18, 2003
  9. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

that's a concern I have with the whole idea of a java-based trade execution platform, as java applications are sometimes unstable and dependent on specific pc configurations ...

I have to spend a lot of time helping traders configure java for things like chat room access so it works properly for them ...

java: when it works correctly, it's great, but sometimes there's installation and pc-specific issues to resolve first.. eg which version of java to install, how to make sure it's the only version installed etc ...

I hope sun continues to evolve java into a more universally "works right the first time every time" background language for apps that need it, as it's an excellent tool when it works ..

ken

#29     Nov 18, 2003
  10. Don't just copy the whole string. I hope you saved the original string. Simply take the -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true snippet and insert it in YOUR startup string. The string I posted was an example. Your string will be different depending on the folder in which your java was installed and what you called it.

#30     Nov 18, 2003