TWS hiccups in fast market. (JAVA ISSUE!!)

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by local_crusher, Feb 28, 2007.

1. I use QT with IB because it's stable and fast. I run 1gig ram with Athlon 3200 and have none of the problems that have been described in this thread. I have no explanation for that.

#31     Feb 28, 2007
  2. Sierra Chart is also cheap as chips and works very well with IB.

#32     Feb 28, 2007
  3. Does anyone know what the IB symbol is for the Shanghai Composite Index? Can't find it in the market lookup in IB.

#33     Feb 28, 2007
  4. So its price. I thought perhaps there was some other reason but I guess you can't argue with price. But what about the feed? I know QT needs a feed to run. Y'all use IB's feed and QT to chart and you have a very inexpensive real-time intra-day charting package, right? Is that it? That's why it's so popular?

I guess what I'm getting at is; I know a lot of people feel that other charting packages like e-Signal, Qcharts, DTN, etc. are overpriced. Compared to QT being fed with IB, indeed they are much more costly. But I'd like to know if this is the only reason so many people seem to run these two software platforms together. If that's the reason, and there's no other advantage, I'd like to know this. That way I can make up my own mind as to which charting software package I find to be best for my own needs. Because to me cost is not the only deciding factor.

#34     Feb 28, 2007
  5. #35     Feb 28, 2007
  6. Thanks Trader KGB.

#36     Feb 28, 2007
  7. Personally I'd recommend Sierra Chart with IB but I'm a futures trader rather than a stock trader and that may have something to do with my preference (I did use QT many years ago before I found futures).

Cheap is always good if you are having a bad month - keeping ones costs under control is a big part of initial survival.

The other things about Sierra Chart and IB are:
    - functionality (better market profile than many packages, a stupid number of indicators, and both C++ and spreadsheet style ways of making up your own stuff).
    - range of markets (try to get HSI and KOSPI or HK stocks or (soon) Aussie stocks on your alternatives).
    - robust under fast market conditions (when esignal is lagging a minute behind the market the IB data is right there with the market so you can still trade it).

#37     Feb 28, 2007
  8. how much do you pay for sierrra charts? I can't seem to find how much it is to buy from their website.

#38     Mar 1, 2007
  9. joesan

joesan

HI, Kiwi

Where to find java 1.6, my computer always upgrades me to the highest java possible, now 1.5.11, once I tried to look for java 1.6, but I could not spot the download package.

Joesan

#39     Mar 1, 2007
  10. http://www.javasoft.com

#40     Mar 1, 2007