TWS hiccups in fast market. (JAVA ISSUE!!)

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by local_crusher, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Getting quote freeze occasionally, and I cannot backfill anything this morning with IB+QT. Anyone else getting backfill issues with IB this morning?

edit - nevermind, working now. Just a bit delayed.

#11     Feb 28, 2007
  2. kowboy

kowboy

Don't know if this is your issue, but noticed Tws doing the same thing when there were more than several Tws 1-3 min charts open and especially noticeable when opening a new window in Tws. When the number of charts and open windows were cut down, the Cpu usage lessened.

The end solution was to use QT charts with IQ feed and to minimize the number of windows in Tws.

#12     Feb 28, 2007
  3. I thought it was just me. I am on 7mbit fixed line with dual AMD and I could barely see a thing in the first 60 mins of the market. Quotes were lagging badly.

#13     Feb 28, 2007
  4. Make sure the problem is actually TWS/Java.

My CPU pegs sometimes when QuoteTracker is getting quotes. It isn't IB at all on mine.

Bring up Task Manager and check processes. Is "Stocks.exe" the one at 70%-90% CPU?

If it is, that's QT.

#14     Feb 28, 2007
  5. QT is a cpu hog on my machine, frequently spiking into the 90's

Curiously, I thinks its the screen updating, not the data handling. minimizing reduces the load by 50%

#15     Feb 28, 2007
  6. Using IB as a quote source or charting package is for noobs. Its your own fault.

IB is an execution platform. Period. Works great, no hang ups, hiccups, nothing, because I dont use all the crap they slathered on top because some people asked for it.

#16     Feb 28, 2007
  7. Hmm. Haven't tried that. Thanks.

Every now and then I'll just lower priority on QT. Works okay for me.

#17     Feb 28, 2007
  8. I found out this:

When you disable EVERYTHING in that feature selector, and restart, it is better. However, I think the source of the problem are the TWS option models. They take a lot of processing power.

I cannot really verify it because that huge volume is gone now, probably for months.

PS: Running build 867 without any other windows open;
    WIN32; P4; 4GB Memory; Java 1.6.0

#18     Feb 28, 2007
  9. Are things better under java 1.5.0? I have 1.6.0 on my PC at work, and TWS runs much more slowly than under 1.5.0. It takes 98 seconds of CPU time upon startup before it even displays any windows, and deleting a ticker line takes 5 or 10 seconds.

My home PC, which admittedly is a bit faster (2.8GHz dual-core compared with 3.0GHz hyperthreaded at work) runs java 1.5.0_11. TWS startup takes around 10 seconds, and deleting a ticker line is quick.

#19     Feb 28, 2007
  10. loufah

How do you like the dual core? I have been using a 3gig hyperthread pentium and with all my software running cpu usage was under 10%. I had some problems with that computer and switched to my 2gig AMD64 and cpu usage shot up to 50% even with twice the ram so I am thinking of buying one of the dual cores.

#20     Feb 28, 2007