TWS Help

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TGM, Feb 5, 2006.

1. lcw

lcw

You upgraded Ensign version2-03 but you did not upgrade the IB TWS.
    You should try to upgrade your IB TWS to 856.4 and use the NEW IB TWS shortcut and then check again and if you have the same issue then you just reinstall Ensign upgrade 2-03 again.
    That is what I did. It's working fine for me.

#11     Feb 5, 2006
  2. CAzzaro

CAzzaro

IB does not show the 856 version as a download for the standalone version, which is the version I use.

By the way, how did you reinstall Ensign? Did you uninstall the existing version first?

CA

#12     Feb 5, 2006
  3. BKuerbs

BKuerbs

The probable reason is that IB changed the parameters in the start-up command of the TWS. Starting TWS by clicking on the icon on your desktop should have worked (if you did that and got the error nevertheless, well then you have caught another glitch). Starting via an entry in your program menu probably does not work because these parameters are missing. You would have to manually change the parameters in your menu entry.

And it looks like they have withdrawn their latest TWS version 856.4, February 1st. It was offered for download on Friday only.
    Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

#13     Feb 5, 2006
  4. lcw

lcw

I just check my stand alone IB TWS from the help ... about and it shows Build 856.4, Feb1, 2006 4:37:18 pm

You do not need to uninstall Ensign. Just overwrite it.

#14     Feb 5, 2006
  5. That seems rather ominous.

OldTrader

#15     Feb 5, 2006

6. FWIW

In another posting of me today I related how my late father instilled a rigorous backup / recovery regime in me. This TGM experience only reinforces the wisdom of that. Similarly he mentioned that if one is having serious money on the line then it is best to have two machines: one in current "production" and another one for backup. Never upgrade both machiens at the same time, give one at least two weeks, preferably a month to "settle down and QA that the changes to ensure that they do not give problems down the track". Similarly he was enforcing off-site backups too.

He mentioned (and I still do not know if he was joking or not) that anyone who is serious about trading better make sure to have his backup / restore procedures in place and that by looking at this he could seperate the man from the wannabee boys.

Hope this helps
    Maria

#16     Feb 5, 2006
  7. Hoi

Hoi

Let me explain, and this is to all TWS/IB users who don't use the default IB shortcut to start TWS in the way IB has meant it to be used.

Every release might have new Java-files that needs to be linked in the TWS startup string in order to start TWS.

So IF you use other ways to start TWS: by using a 3rd-party startup-program (ensign?) or use your own shortcuts, or startups....THEN...this other way should include the new Java-files.

Be aware that IB added the following Java-files in the string:

TWS-854.x:
    jhall.jar
    other.jar
    jcommon-0.9.0.jar
    jfreechart-0.9.15.jar

TWS-855.x:
    jcommon-1.0.0-pre2.jar
    jfreechart-1.0.0-pre2.jar

TWS-856.x:
    jcommon-1.0.0.jar
    jfreechart-1.0.0.jar
    rss.jar

So be sure that the above matched the TWS-version that you use.

Hope it helps
    Hoi

#17     Feb 6, 2006
  8. Further to what Hoi just said, you can always find the list of files needed for the latest production release on the TWS Unix download page:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-bin/unix_standalone.pl

Go to point 4. The files you need are those with a ".jar" extension.

The list of files is the same on Windows as on Unix.

#18     Feb 6, 2006