TWS Extremely Slow to Start Up

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hurricane_sh, Mar 8, 2020.

1. After input all login credentials, the splash screen shows up, TWS starts to load up, but it freezes at "Requesting startup parameters" and often takes 10~20 minutes to fully loaded.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

2. zdave83

zdave83

I have an observation ... but am no expert at TWS startup. YMMV. TWS recently displayed an error message indicating it could not retrieve "settings" from the "server". Then TWS started, and I assumed it was using a local copy of the settings. Fortunately my anti-virus/firewall also displayed a message saying it blocked a "risky" connection. I temporarily disabled the firewall function and TWS re-started normally. Believing the firewall function was blocking a needed connection ... I created an exception for TWS. Following that ... TWS started up normally with the firewall function enabled.

3. Thanks for your reply. I don't use firewall on my computer, I save the settings locally, something else caused the delay.

zdave83 likes this.
  4. guru

guru

Happens occasionally when IB servers are being updated during weekend nights. It’s not exactly a delay, but connectivity issues whether TWS is already started or not.
    Or does it happen to you during trading hours?

5. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Over the weekend or during the week? Systems are often down for weekend upgrades

6. Happens almost every day, I often open TWS 10 minutes before the cash session, and 20 minutes later, it's still loading, but after it's started, it works well. Very strange.

7. def

def Sponsor

You should call or start a chat with the technical support desk who should be able to look at your logs or provide some suggestions. I checked with the CS desk and they haven't reported any issues and from my personal experience, I logged in over the weekend, very early this morning and just now and each login was about 1/2 a minute or less after downloading any updates .
    One place to look or may be helpful to pass to tech support would be the file launch.log under Jts on your C drive.
    Will look something like this
    2020-03-09 11:25:05.189 [MD] INFO [JTS-Main] - Jts dir is C:\Jts\
    2020-03-09 11:25:05.197 [MD] INFO [JTS-Main] - PROXY Installed custom selector
    2020-03-09 11:25:05.207 [MD] INFO [JTS-Main] - SSL support status for.............
    2020-03-09 11:25:38.625 [XC] INFO [JTS-PostAuthenticateS2-20] - Switching to a new encrypted log...

In this case my login took 33 seconds. Within that file, you may get a hint of where your delays are occurring.

zdave83 and hurricane_sh like this.