TWS Crash after installing latest MacOS Big Sur Beta

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by othello, Oct 18, 2020.

1. othello

othello

After I login and the green bar almost reaches the end, I see TWS briefly flash before crashing.

The problem report shows
    Crashed Thread: 62 Java: Java2D Queue Flusher

I did the typical troubleshooting of rebooting and reinstalling. I notified IB of my issue.

Before I revert to a backup, is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

2. realtrades

realtrades

I've learned when I have problems with TWS, downloading and installing the beta version fixes things, you can try that.

3. I am a MAC user and I am reluctant of downloading the beta version of the Mac OS. Now when you do that, you'd expect a little bit of shitstorm from some of the apps. But TWS and ToS both being Java apps I can see the day and night in terms of clear crisp graphics and user-friendliness and functionality. I know some swear by IB that they are the best and in terms of cost it may be true, but in terms of the TWS app, it is doo-doo on a stick. Recently, I have been trying TWS, CQG web, and I even paid for an installment of Ninja trader (what a disappointment that was). Now I am back to ToS waiting to be elevated or fucked up by Schwab integration. The only other app CQG web was decent, too bad they did not have a Mac version.

4. ZBZB

ZBZB

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  5. Of course but none are for free! Schwab's futures commish is $1.50 but if I have to pay for all sorts of data fees (motiveware pro is $99/month) with the "low commish" broker, what have I gained? I am paying a lowered $1.85 at ToS because I have traded up a storm with spreads. I do not trade the volume (or to be precise I no longer want to trade the volume to be worthwhile with IB.) I rather play 2-3 swings on futures and then it is not worth the trouble, but in reality, I am a long-term options player where the commission is the least of my worries. (I have a position of 12/2020 SPY puts 300/280 debit spread on from Thursday high)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. ZBZB

ZBZB

There is a free version of motivewave that does everything but send orders to IB.

7. Thanks for the info. At any rate, I am not all that well versed in the cavalcade of data providers, charting software, and execution platforms but there must be a little difference in motiveware pro and motiveware order flow and standard!
    upload_2020-10-18_6-25-12.png

8. ZBZB

ZBZB

try the free version and see if you need extra features.